Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding On Lockup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding On Lockup

It is new (will be unnamed) and makes a grinding noise on lockup pretty frequently--any ideas?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh oh can i guess its a FUDDLE. If so i know what it is lol... This will go with any aftermarket converter not just a fuddle. Its making a weird noise (like if you were at a stop light and let up on the brake just enough to move forward--vibration noise) then its the clutch in the converter just barley slipping... In an after market converter 1. The converters are smaller then stock so the clutch is smaller and cant hold the load of the motor as easily when locked so it will slip more.. 2. The clutch material they use is different then the stock material and the clutch wont slip as smoothly as the stock one will (note the stock one slips,but i bet you never new that caus you couldnt hear it) There are a few things you can do to help this situation(some of which i am doing at the moment) First you can go to your local pep boys/auto zone and look for special trans fluid made to reduce torque converter shudder(will say this on the bottle). That helped me some but not much. Next you need to reprogram the pcm for more pressure for the tcc apply, i think 96 is stock and it needs to be changed to 98. You can also play around with the lock up speed(raise it) to help.. Lastly you can add a trans go shift kit that will eliminate the pwm(pulse width modulation) that the trans uses to a more positive lock up with the trans go kit... Pm me if you need more help
Old 11-13-2005, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really appreciate the help! I will try the computer mods. Yes, it is a Fuddle 4200/2.35
Old 11-13-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i knew it lol, your converter is fine just need some tuning.. Did you loose 3rd and 4th gear yet lol. If you did thats just another computer code you have to remove... I thought my trans was toast,the converter was gone due to the grinding noise and i was pissed,,, dont worry its all computer related..due to an aftermarket part that the computer is not programmed for.... As for the vibration under lock up you might not be able to completely get rid of it due to the converter clutch being so small. You will however make it a lot better with the things i mentioned, i have yet to do the programming so im waiting to see how that goes, the fluid helped a bit and it slips more quietly so i can only imagine that the programming is going to help that much more...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again--so far that has been my only problem.