Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC Install Help: Can't get flex plate bolts off!

Old 11-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Install Help: Can't get flywheel bolts off!

Over the last few days i've been wrenching on the car in the driveway, installed some longtubes, etc and next on the list was installing the Fuddle torque converter i've had in the box for some time. I've been slowly and carefully (first time doing it you know) following the Modern Muscle Car writeup, and so far so good until i got to unbolting the stock tc from the flywheel. After spending an hour and becoming totally frustrated i've decided to tackle it in the morning.

I've done alot of research before starting using the great info on this site, but the only real thing i've seen about the 8mm allen head bolts is "if you got em, prepare to struggle". Anyone have some advice on how to break em? i've tried every angle, extension, breaker bar, penetrant, etc. My problem seems to be limited angle to break em free and the flywheel turning on me. In the morning i'm gonna remove the trans cooler lines, unhook the starter to have nothing in the way at all and wedge the flywheel somehow, but if i can't get em in an hour i guess i'll just put everything back and pay for the pros to do it.

Someone give me advice!

-benjamin

Last edited by tunnel88; 11-14-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

try a little propane torch to heat them up some....GM lock tighted the hell out of them bolts
Old 11-14-2005, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

I ended up having to use a die grinder with a carbide bit to get two of the three SOBs out. One actually came out with a breaker bar. Thank God my new Fuddle came with hex bolts.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

get a friend to hold the crank for you by the crank bolt then just use a 12 in. breaker bar plus your ratchet and move them slowly, if you try to hurry it up you'll probably strip the bolt w/ the allen bit and then you are going to either have to grind them off w/ a dremel or use a chisel/punch to try to knock them loose
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

I've read that the allen head bolts can be a bitch but mine came off rather easily. All I did was use an allen wrench with a pipe on it for leaverage, I didn't even need to break out the allen wrench sockets or anything.
Maybe I didn't find it that difficult because I remove bolts that are seized similar to those at work all the time so I am used to it.
What I will suggest is be sure you keep the wrench all the way in the bolt head to avoid stripping it. If you strip it or can't break it, use vise-grips and tighten the **** out of them on the bolt head then give it a couple quick blows with a hammer to try and break them free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TC Install Help: Can't get flex plate bolts off!