Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter, trans, a sometime problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter, trans, a sometime problem

I have had a vig 3200 installed for about 4 months now, it has seen no track use, but anyways, every so often about 4 or 5 times now, not that often, the SES light will come on, it throws some P0XXX (757, I forget) code, the one that is often thrown with converters, and I will lose 1st gear or 4th gear, more 1st than 4th, until I turn off the car, wait about 30 minutes, never tried any sooner, start the car up, the light is still on but 1st-4th are fine and the car drives like normal, its kind of a pain in the ***, any help. I would figure if the Trans is going out, a simple turn off and turn on 30 minutes later, it would still have the same issue, any suggestions.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same fuggin problem after my fuddle 3,800 was installed. Everyone just kept saying its just a code, im like so what its a code yea i know i have a converter thats slipping more but why no 1,2,4 gears. Simple answer is the computer lock you out cause its slipping too much, shutting the car off will temp reset the code(with the ses light still on).. Your trans is fine all you need to do is have the code shut off and everything will work normal so again all you have to do is shut the p0757 code to off...
Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

so if I shut that code off, will my tranny not slip anymore??
Old 11-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the slip code comes when you are locked up
but the lockup clutch doesn't hold well enough.
You can raise the slip limit to tolerate it better,
you can bring the force motor current down (line
pressure up) at the lower line-% end, a big hassle
for me was converter slip on the highway where
the PCM is commanding 0% line, TCC gets 98% of
0% pressure (not zero, but not enough). You don't
want to kill the code, you want to kill the slippage
or at least give it a good *** kicking.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

would I do this with ls1edit?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have to disagree with the slip code, it all has to do with the input shaft and output shaft regardless of the lock up. I can easily prove it, if you hold the brake and rev it past 3,000 rpm the code will come on, you will loose certain gears(mine was 1,2,and 4th gears). You can also find posts about brake stalling it past 3,000 then having the light come on and loss of gears. Now there may also be a slip code for the lock up portion of the trans when its locked.

Orion565, yes all you need to do is go into the engine diagnostic tab, once there you need to go to the hardwar diagnostic tab. While in there you need to select diagnostic test (p0757 2-3 shift solenoid?) Once you do that look at the error mode box and toggle it to say Type x=turned off and thats it your trans will not set the code and you wont loose the gears... Note there is also a box within the hardware diagnostics that says (Does error set ses) thats basically for setting the light on your dash, you dont need to worry about that since you turned off the code... And yes this is for ls1edit.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh one other thing, once i changed that setting no more missed gears.. jimmyblue is refering to tcc slip which can happen as the converter gets smaller due to a smaller cluch not being able to hold the power while locked under low throttle position.. You may also have that problem which there is another fix like jimmyblue said with the forced motor,tcc apply pressure etc but right now you have the p0757 which is a different problem