Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear gone in my A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2nd gear gone in my A4?

So I was driving yesterday morning to work and noticed the car wouldn’t shift into second, it just goes from first to third. Third is set at 30mph so it revs up to about 3200rpms in first before going directly into third. I had the computer checked out by Will “txhorns281” using HPtuners and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it leading us to believe there is a hardware problem with the tranny. Could this be my 1-2 shift solenoid? Any help from experienced people is greatly appreciated, but please don’t post that you have the same problem. Also anytime I get on it at WOT it pegs the rev limiter hard! It’s like when you have a manual and the stick gets stuck while you are shifting but you floor it and it just revs high. I can shift into second and I can’t go WOT? I haven’t done any mods except a home built ram air but other than that the car hasn’t been touched to cause any problems. Mods are in sig, 65,200 miles on the car. The whole tranny..even the converter are stock. Let me know!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have 4th gear? Fluid look OK? Will it go into second if you "baby" it? Any codes?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's very strange. Usually the solenoids cause the tranny to be stuck in 2nd. If the clutches are fried you'll lose 3 & 4.

Has it only done it once and go back to normal? If so, could be excess clutch dust or trash. I'd change the fluid and filter.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no it does it continually, 4th gear is fine, so are 3rd and 1st, just no second. I havent had time but this weekend i will check everything out and post my find
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the same exact thing that happened to me. I burned up my 2-4 band. First I lost 2nd, then within 100 miles I lost 4th. Drop the pan and check out the fluid. If there is dust like a mother f'er in there, I'd guess you burned up the 2-4 band. Since you still have 3rd, I doubt it's the clutches. A busted sunshell (very weak point in this trans) is another possibility, but you wouldn't have 3rd gear either if this happened.