Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid additives & flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans fluid additives & flush

Just wondering if anyone uses any of the trans fluid additives. I don't know what any of the additives does, but I want to check with everyone here to see if any of the additives do any good or harm. Also is it worth it to have a shop flush my transmission vs just doing a fluid change myself. thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What we do in the trans shop is,we have high quality bulk ATF and convert it for each application using Lube Guard brand. The only other additives we trust and use are any BG products. VW and some others use very specific ATF and additives. I highly reccomend a trans FLUSH not just a serv. if ur trans is working properly. Make sure whoever you use that they have a machine to do the flush not just drop the pan. A pan drop only removes about 4-5 Qts. in a total of about 11! So,all a pan drop does is contaminate the new fluid and not get it all out. Plus BG makes an awsome cleaner that you run through the trans first before the flush. Do a search online for a shop that uses BG products.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you, Can you get the bg products at a parts store or do you have to get it on the net? also Which shelf brand fluid do I need to get and is the fluid a specific type? Lot of ?'s for a simple fluid change, but I want to make sure I put the best in since I won't do this extremely often.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

I just looked on bg's website. Looks like very good stuff. bg is expensive, so can I use normal fluid and then have the shop add the bg conditioner to the fluid. Also how expensive is the cleaner and the conditioner? I only got a price on the bg transfluid.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure of the conditioner/additive $ alone, but, We have the BG machine
(which works awsome BTW) and you can watch the fluid change as it goes through the trans from dirty to clean. It exchanges ALL the fluid in the trans as the car idles. The goin rate for that is $99.00 for the flush including the cleaner and conditioner. And $139.00 to do that along with the filter. I think the site is called BGfindashop.com. That way you can find someone by you that has this machine. I highly reccomend you do it this way,we use this machine atleast once a day and it's the best way to service ur trans. But,if you wanna do it yourself any name brand Dextron ATF like Mobil,ACdelco will do fine. Some auto part stores do carry Lube Guard brand additive and if your just gonna do a service Thats the only other brand i would reccomend,It's the all red bottle.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

I appreciate the help. I will get someone with the machine to do this job. I don't think I will be doing much good myself