Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Tranmission dipstick...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Tranmission dipstick...

Heh, Not to sound retarded here, but I'm new to LS1's.. I just got a 1998 LS1 z28 a while back. I want to check the transmission fluid... so I pulled it in my garage tonight and went to pull the tranmission dipstick out and i took the clamp that says "trans lock" or whatever and pulled it to the right to unlock it... i then tugged on the handle to pull it out of the dipstick tube and it wont budge.. is there a special technique to removing it to check the transmission fluid or what? I didn't want to break the assembly to lock the dipstick in the tubing... heh.. Let me know... Thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 AM
TECH Regular

Not retarded at all. Same thing happened to me, bought the car in May 2004. I changed the trans fluid, filter, and pan gasket, no problems. A few months ago I went to check the trans fluid level and the trans dipstick would not friggin budge.
Grab a hold of the rubber grommet and wiggle it back and forth with a little force and pull out at the same time. Do not pull it out by just tugging on the red locking mechanism handle.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a fair warning...if you do remove the dipstick tube, it can be a big pita to get it back in place.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

i had same problem, just wiggle it a little and pull.....maybe whoever checked it last put in in wrong....is there a certain way? I've had this same problem
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, don't yank the little red handle off. I used to work at the dealership, and I had to use vise-grips on the ones that people had ripped off. That sucked.

Just pull on the round piece below the handle, and kinda wiggle it if you can.

I've found that if you regularly pull it out, even just past the rubber, not even to check it, it becomes a helluva lot easier to get out.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Just a fair warning...if you do remove the dipstick tube, it can be a big pita to get it back in place.
Ain't that the truth
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I got it out.. It took a lot of tugging on the part below the handle. LOL. Well, Umm, my transmission was randomly like 1 quart low on tranmission fluid. Reason I wanted to check is cause its really cold out, and I was just goofin around the other day with some mustangs that are friends of mine... I would put it at 25, it would kick it sideways going into 1st gear, and then when it would go to shift.. it would hit the revlimiter between gears a few times... Added tranny fluid and it seems fine. Wonder why it would be a little low.. is that normal or most likely a leak?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28LS1
I got it out.. It took a lot of tugging on the part below the handle. LOL. Well, Umm, my transmission was randomly like 1 quart low on tranmission fluid. Reason I wanted to check is cause its really cold out, and I was just goofin around the other day with some mustangs that are friends of mine... I would put it at 25, it would kick it sideways going into 1st gear, and then when it would go to shift.. it would hit the revlimiter between gears a few times... Added tranny fluid and it seems fine. Wonder why it would be a little low.. is that normal or most likely a leak?
You are checking it while it's running and warm, right? You have to check it after the tranny has warmed up ( at least 100* ), then shift into each gear for a second P-R-N-OD-D-2-1, then back up the same way, leave it idling in park and THEN check it.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Yep, warmed up, idle, and went through the gears... was a little low...
Old 12-21-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been spraying a little WD-40 in the crack between the dipstick and the tube ... allows it to slide right out. Hasn't damaged the seal or anything, so, I guess it's the best way ... definitely the easiest.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vfffff.

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 02:26 PM.