Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans temp guage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans temp guage?

has anyone installed one? I bought one and was planning to put it in when my dad said it would be a waste of time and money? I tend to disagree but don't we always disagree with out parents? Anyway if anyone has them please post.

Curtis
Old 12-23-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not suggesting you tell your dad he's wrong lol! but......if you have a converter it's a great idea to have one. It will generate more heat when it's unlocked so it's nice to keep an eye on it. Heat=easy way to shorten tranny life.

I've had one on for a while now.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

It's cheap insurance with a convertor. Without it I would have roasted another tranny this past summer. Because I had the gauge in though, I could see that she was getting too hot and make changes to the tranny cooling system before any damage was done. Just tell you dad that "Heat is a killer of these trannies, especially with an aftermarket convertor. You'd rather put it in to keep an eye on the temps and be on the safe side." That's a nice way of telling him he's wrong..
Old 12-25-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA
It's cheap insurance with a convertor. Without it I would have roasted another tranny this past summer. Because I had the gauge in though, I could see that she was getting too hot and make changes to the tranny cooling system before any damage was done. Just tell you dad that "Heat is a killer of these trannies, especially with an aftermarket convertor. You'd rather put it in to keep an eye on the temps and be on the safe side." That's a nice way of telling him he's wrong..
exactly you hit the nail on the head. i have one and am constantly looking at mine. very good investiment.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, I'm getting me one too. Like everyone else said, very nice to have especially with a different converter. Heat kills an auto!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

I just installed mine about 2 weeks ago and how much better I feel now that I can see how hot my tranny is getting without feeling paranoid. Also, tapping the temp sending unit into the pan is the best place for the most accurate reading. Next I would say for a 10* difference but an easier install would be the service port right above the gear selector (It just looks like a bolt, take it out and screw the sender into the hole). Thats the route I went with.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

ive been thinking about one myself.dumb ? tho what is the normal temp that these tranny s run at?dont remember seeing any numbers on that.and what is a safe operating range for them before destruction begins
Old 12-25-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nikon1999
What's that suppost to mean?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea just tell your dad to get ride of his gas gauge in the car, no need for that- when the car stops thats when it needs some gas. How stupid can he be... Just tell him a trans temp gague is like any other gague, used to monitor the condition of the trans just like your oil pressure gauge monitors the oil pump, the can can still run with out pressure but with out a gauge you will never know and by the time you find out its too late. So a trans gague wil tell you if its running too hot and you can pull over to prevent damage to it.. look here for the simple install http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the biggest tranny cooler I could find on my old camaro.
A stall is a great mod as long as it not too small.
I would recommend at least a 3k stall