Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Slipping?

I have had a new problem develop in my 98 V6 firebird. Since the snow has started to fall I have been doing a lot of donuts (im not sure if this is relevent) and now I am getting a slipping feel in my transmission. It doesnt always happen but when I am starting out from a stop or powering it up into 3rd and 4th gear, I get a jerking feel from the car. It comes in random frequencies, sometimes once, other times 3 -5 times. I took my car to a jiffylube to have the transmission fluid level checked and it was fine. It was a little dirty. My question is, would dirty fluid cause my auto tranny to start to slip? What else could be causing this? The car has only 71,000 miles and I dont drive it hard at all. BTW, jiffylube wants 120 bucks to drop the pan, change the filter, and flush the fluid. As this is the first time I have ever had this done, I'm not sure is this is a reasonable rate. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I think 120 is a bit steep. But if your fluid is dirty, could be a bad gasket or dirty filter or both. Definetly get it checked out. 120 is better than 1500