Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans acting weird, threw a code.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans acting weird, threw a code.

I cranked the car this morning and went to leave like normal. As I pulled out of my driveway, I noticed that the car was stuck in third. I limped it along to where I was going, checked the fluid, it was fine.

Left where I was at, car was still acting up. I had 3rd and 4th, but I only had 2nd if I put it in "2", and didn't have 1st no matter what I did. And it threw a code. I pulled into the local Advance Auto and had them scan it. It was a PO758 code, (Shift Solenoid B Circuit.)

Went to leave again, and voila! the car acts just like normal, just like nothing happened. I gave it a few WOT runs to make sure everything was alright, and it acted normal at WOT too. Reset the PCM and cleared the code. It's been acting right since.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems like (hopefully) it was a one time thing. Or do shift solenoids act up a couple times before they go out?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

I have messed with a few LT1 cars that the shift solenoids went out on and new ones fixed the problem! One time I run into one where the shifter cable bracket came lose from the tranny pan and would only stay in second but you gots a code!The shift solenoids are fairly cheap and very easy to put in! If it comes back slap one in it!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA TECH
I have messed with a few LT1 cars that the shift solenoids went out on and new ones fixed the problem! One time I run into one where the shifter cable bracket came lose from the tranny pan and would only stay in second but you gots a code!The shift solenoids are fairly cheap and very easy to put in! If it comes back slap one in it!
I plan on it. I damn sure ain't payin' a transmission shop to do it. I'm just glad that it was a solenoid and not something major. I thought I was about to have to get a credit card and buy a Rock On.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine used to stick, after the car had sat for awhile. I could start the car then start driving till it warmed up, stopped cut the car off & cut it back on then it would be fine again. I never figured out why it did that. But I replaced both shift solenoids along with the TC lock up solenoid & I never had that problem again. Instead I just burnt up a trans 6 months later. (2 much nitrous)
Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Mine used to stick, after the car had sat for awhile. I could start the car then start driving till it warmed up, stopped cut the car off & cut it back on then it would be fine again. I never figured out why it did that. But I replaced both shift solenoids along with the TC lock up solenoid & I never had that problem again. Instead I just burnt up a trans 6 months later. (2 much nitrous)
It did it again today. Guess I'll have to fix it.

Where did you get the solenoids, and are they both the same. On all the auto parts stores' sites, I can't find any difference.

I know that the "B" (2-3) Solenoid is on the passenger side. Does anyone have any pictures of just what it looks like?

Vann, how much of a PITA was the replacement?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
It did it again today. Guess I'll have to fix it.

Where did you get the solenoids, and are they both the same. On all the auto parts stores' sites, I can't find any difference.

I know that the "B" (2-3) Solenoid is on the passenger side. Does anyone have any pictures of just what it looks like?

Vann, how much of a PITA was the replacement?
I got mine from GM, If im not mistaken they are both the same. You cant miss them they are the only two solenoids Towards the front of the transmission. You just un-plug them then pull the clip that is holding them in out, the pop it out. Replace with the new on & reverse the removal process. All you have to do is remove the pan to get to them.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
I got mine from GM, If im not mistaken they are both the same. You cant miss them they are the only two solenoids Towards the front of the transmission. You just un-plug them then pull the clip that is holding them in out, the pop it out. Replace with the new on & reverse the removal process. All you have to do is remove the pan to get to them.
I got the "B" Solenoid replaced today. Then found out that I had an extension housing leak. Got that seal, and couldn't get the old one out. Fought it for a good little while, and bent two screwdrivers.

I'm taking off the extension housing tomorrow to get the bastard out. I left the car up on jackstands for tonight 'cause I'm tired of fighting it.

FWIW, the solenoid went in in about 30 seconds once the pan was down. I'm really glad I put in that drain plug now.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Got the seal replaced today after I got a stout enough screwdriver. Popped right out. Put everything back together and replacing the solenoid fixed the problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Got the seal replaced today after I got a stout enough screwdriver. Popped right out. Put everything back together and replacing the solenoid fixed the problem.
Excellent! Im glad you get her fixed. Told you it wasnt bad. That drain plug does come in handy, Im glad my new trans had a drain plug.

Later!