Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problems!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problems!! Help!

Alright, so I'm working with a friend of mine to swap out a torque converter on another buddy's car, and we've hit a what might be a big problem.

As we're trying to loosen the torque converter bolts, they start to strip. One is almost completely stripped, and another started to round out before I stopped and is now rounded a little. The third one is untouched.

This is the first time either of us has had this problem with these bolts. We've worked with them before, and they were a pain, but they still came out. They aren't notmal hex head bolts, they are rounded on the outside and have a hex head...thing...in the middle (see picture). The picture is of a bolt taken from another car, but it's the same kind we're dealing with.

What can we do? I'm supposed to have this trans out by now to have other work done to it!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Attached Thumbnails Big problems!! Help!-pdr_0002.jpg  

Last edited by Ωmega; 12-28-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had to slide the tranny out of some car with the convertor still on the fly wheel!Then I put a good pair of vise grips on the outside and the hex dit to! Mine came lose!If there rounded have ya tried beating the next bigger size in the hole of the messed up ones!Good luck maybe ya can get it going!I have standard and metric ones too can't remember wich one fit the tightest!

Last edited by TA TECH; 12-28-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No kidding. How did you get the flywheel to go with it? The thing won't budge as it is now!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

The fly wheel doesn't come off it stays on the motor with the convertor all that holds the convertor is those bolts so if you take all the bell housing bolts lose it should come back some of them are a pain to get to come loose because the dial pins in the block rust so you have to shake the crap out of the tranny I usually get get a big pry bar and find a good spot to work it lose! IOts a tight fit!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

The convetor just slides in the front pump of the tranny see what I'm saying!nothing holding it but when its bolted to the fly wheel so ya can just slide the hole tranny away from the convertor bolted to the tranny!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, I knew that, but I had a blonde moment there.I'm confident I'll get them out, but if not, that'll be the next step, thanks a lot for the help TA TECH

Rob
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had that happen once. Used a torch on the bolt heads and got them cherry red. Let them cool a bit and they broke loose easily. We ended up replacing the flex plate though as we were worried about it cracking where the heat blued it.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Had that happen once. Used a torch on the bolt heads and got them cherry red. Let them cool a bit and they broke loose easily. We ended up replacing the flex plate though as we were worried about it cracking where the heat blued it.
Yea, I'm prepared to buy him a new flex plate, it had crossed my mind already. I'm going to go back to it in a few hours. Thanks for all the help!