Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I get a heads/cam package, do I have to upgrade my factory converter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If I get a heads/cam package, do I have to upgrade my factory converter?

I really want to stay away from an aftermarket torque converter, because I don't want to use drag radials or slicks just to get decent quarter mile times. But I am thinking about the future and have thought about eventually getting an engine rebuild with an aftermarket heads and cam combo and even beefing up my A4 at the same time. Would it be okay if I stick with the factory torque converter? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

I think you would be fine, but the aftermarket tq would just emphasize the H/C combo that much more.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you start making enough power, you'll need sticky tires even with the stock converter. A typical H/C combo will raise the powerband, and a higher stall converter will keep your motor in the range where it is making power. This is the way to those good 1/4 mile times you want.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to do some more research on converters. Any decent street convertor, 2800-3600 stall, will knock an easy full half second off your 1/4th mile times even on street tires. A converter is the single best piece of speed equipment you can buy for a street car. Don't take my word for it. Find someone in your area that has an aftermarket converter in his car and ask him. Talk to the racers at he track who are running the fast street cars. Put a decent converter in your car and with no other changes you'll be running well into the 12s.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:22 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

In addition to the other points stated, depending on how much cam you put in, you may have a problem when you are in drive and idling. You may have to raise your idle with a bigger cam and your stock torque converter with be trying to move the car and pulling against the brakes.