Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converter problem

I have a 383 LT1, ported heads, very large cam. my tranny is a built 4l60E with a tci super street fighter 3500 converter. I also have a B&M 24000 trans cooler installed. after only 2800 miles or so the lock up feature of the converter stopped working. I took the car to the shop who did my tranny. he hooked up a scanner to the car and the pcm was telling the converter to lock. after another 200 miles the car just stopped moving altogether one day. almost like nuetral in every gear. I took the tranny out and brought it to my tranny guy. he inspected the transmission and said that the torque converter came apart and contaminated the tranny oil. this caused a filter in the tranny to clog which then burnt my 3/4 clutch.

now when I bought the converter I got alot of crap from my older relatives that were into cars back in the day. "that converter is too big!" "you'll destroy the transmission!" I thought it would last a decent amount of time, not only 3000 miles.

has anyone else had problems with TCI's super street fighter 3500 converter?
how long has your tranny lasted with a higher stall?

unfortunately I was out of the converters 3 month warranty when it came apart so right theres $460 down the drain.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear that. This is one of the reasons I posted that thread
about years of life on stall. I like to go fast but I am not made out of
money. I think I may be looking at less shall we say radical ways
of producng lower E.T. A guy I know runs 4.10 gears on stock converter and get consistent
12.5's. I may choose to go to 4.10 also in the future.

Last edited by john shea; 01-21-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh I didnt even see your thread. I didnt find the stall to be unstreetable. it did stall way above where it was rated, though. roughly 4000-4200 rpm. never knew why. ive never riden in another vehicle with a high stall converter so I didnt know what to expect.

I dont think I'll be switching to 4.10s in order to use a smaller stall, IMO that would be even less streetable. car already screams on the highway. my cam is similar to a Trex cam so I need to have a decent sized stall too!

perhaps we'll all just have to wait for the 6L80E to become more abundant

I also never said when this happened, the car went down the first week of december. I had to choose between paying for college and paying for the car to get fixed. needless to say I chose college haha but im REALLY missing my baby

I've even considered putting the stock stall back in it just to get it running for the time being. we've gotten pretty good at tearin the tranny out. I don't think it would be too pleasant to drive though.

I DID luck out and I have an awesome tranny guy. he's standing by his own work done in july and is charging me alot less than I expected.

Last edited by zigroid; 01-21-2006 at 09:17 PM.