Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest info on 6l80E?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newest info on 6l80E?

Has anyone heard anything recent about the 6speed auto going into the GTO? (or any RWD variant that would fit into an fbody). The Pro Touring guys have been keeping tabs on it, but no one seems to have any definitive info about when they will release a variant that will fit into an LS1 Fbody. It sure would be nice to have a nasty first gear and still keep the highway cruising at a reasonable rpm.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its supposed to go into everything from vettes to escalades i believe, its not much much bigger than a 4l60e. i put some info up on the truck forum about it, let me dig it up...

"it appears the 6l80e that will come in the vette is only 30 lbs heavier than a 4l60e, and the version in the cadillacs is only around 16 lbs heavier than the 4l60e. also turns out the heavier 6l80e in the vette is 30 lbs lighter than a 4l80e.

i read somewhere that external dimensions of the trans arent much bigger than the 4l60e even though they are obviously somewhat bigger than the 4l.

the gear selector is only a 5 position one, PRNDS not RND321 like the 4l60e so the gauge cluster thing may not be as much of a problem, no way of being sure...

i wonder what that info will mean for possible future tranplants..."

thats all i got...shouldnt be too difficult a swap although it will most likely be custom and i dont know about the trans computer either.

Last edited by spy2520; 01-22-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Hot Rod mag. had a pretty good article about it a few months ago, i wanna say over the summer, i can look when i get back home and see what they say
Old 01-25-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also love to get some info about this. I guess I'll be looking around.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Recently I asked a good friend of mine that works at GM Powertrain ... he said they designed the case to fit into existing vehicles that had a 4L80E. So where you can fit a 4L80E, you can fit just as easily fit a 6L80E. Although you will need a TCM to control it and since it uses a dual clutch system, the timing of the release/apply from one to another may present a problem for DYI wanting to change it. They spent a lot of time fine tuning so that those clutches don't get blown out. Pretty interesting stuff he told me.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder how long it will be before we can tune the trans controller that is supposed to be contained within the trans.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Since this thing is dual-clutch, (DSG, direct shift gearbox) there should be no converter? I'm curious to see if we'd lose all that off-the-line power that you get with a stalled A4 which makes them so nasty at the track. Anyone have any insight on how these things launch?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Of course there is a converter, why wouldn't there be?

Here are GM's specs for the 6L80E
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
Of course there is a converter, why wouldn't there be?

Here are GM's specs for the 6L80E
Sounds good.

I ask because, a dual clutch transmission doesn't *need* a torque converter, actually. So, many of the ones that are in development (or on the road) don't have a converter. The reason for this is because the transmissions make use of 2 gearshafts (1-3-5 and a 2-4-6) with a clutch on the end of each one. The transmission, internally, is in 2 gears at a time, and it just switches clutches, essentially, on a gearshift. There's no slack to be taken up by a converter, it's all controlled by the clutches. Some people argue the converter-less setup is "sportier." Using a converter reduces the wear on these clutches, but it also decreases efficiency. That's why I was curious to know if GM was implementing one. I'm glad to hear they are, though.... it means we'll lose a few hp, but still have the great launch.

Since the DSG boxes already have clutches on the gearshafts, it means you can disengage both clutches and have the car "freewheel", which is the exact same function that our current converters serve, it just changes the manner in which the car leaves the line from a dead stop (more like a manual than an automatic, mechanically). I assume GM found that the converter was needed to slop up all the torque on the LSx's, which means more torque mult for us. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by tiresmokeLS1; 01-26-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Any more info on these units?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

4.02 first gear ratio?!!! WOW!!!

--Alan
Old 06-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Tcm??

I have been reading everything I could find on this tranny, but you guys seem to be the most on top of the info. My understanding of the thing is the tranny is run by its own computer, doesn't use the engines computer. Is this correct. I am also an F body owner, 200 camaro SS and I am doing an engine swap in my car and was going to replace the 4l60 E with a 4L80E until I heard about this bad boy. I actually found a motor and tranny out of a 08 G8 that was wrecked and only has 7k miles. its complete with all components, ecm, tcm wiring harness pedals and everything so in my mind that should be able to drop right in the car and run. the only thing I am unsure of is the tail shaft on the tranny, is it longer or shorter, will I have to have some custom leangth drive shaft for this to work? Thanks for any info and hopefully this will work, I am excited about this tranny in this car.