Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Converter question

I know nothing about stall converters. How can you tell how high your convertor stalls, and if you even have an performance stall converter. A guy who looked at my car said he saw a performance stall converter but my friend swears that I have the Stock Torque Converter.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

I got these from http://www.fuddleracing.com/wst_page3.html - they explain it a little.

Example 1- Assume your stock stall is around 1600 RPM. Get into the car and hold your foot on the brake. Now at the same time you let off of the brake, stab the throttle like you are at the track. Keep a close eye on the tach. It will jump to about 1600 RPM and start climbing from there. If you moved to a 3200 stall, it would jump to about 3200 and start climbing from there. It gives you a huge punch by launching at a higher RPM and at an RPM that is more in the meat of your powerband.

Example 2- Again, assume a stock stall of 1600 RPM. Now, in drive, hold your left foot on the brake as hard as you can. Now slowly rev the engine with your other foot. Notice that about 1200-1300 RPM the tires start to break loose. Now imagine that you have a 3200 stall. You could now spin the motor closer to 3k before the tires started to brake loose.

Also, did the guy that look at the car crawl under and mess with the tranny?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

The guy had the car on a lift. I had just gotten the car so my brother decided to ask what the car had and one of the things he said was a stall converter.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

That's possible then. There is an access hole in the tranny that you can see the verter from.