Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually Downshifting an A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manually Downshifting an A4

On the way home from the track tonight an old beat Camaro kinda slingshots me. I nail it at about 70mph and it downshifts and i start to reel him in, but barely. A minute later I downshift from OD to D and then to 2nd. But this time i reeled him in and pulled a car length on him. I've read different posts about how this will kill your tranny. So whats the real deal.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I've heard that it hurts the tranny. I've done it but not very often.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

It's the only way you can beat anything from a high speed roll. You stomp on it and it downshifts, but only 1 gear to like 3k. I need to be able to go down 2 gears so i can bring my rpms up for torque.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Get a stall torque converter, it's the only way to go! Down shifting into second shouldn't hurt anything HOWEVER, I do not trust it. Reason being, I had a V6 before my Z and stripped the reaction shell in my tranny for some odd reason. I'm left to believe that it was from me always manually downshifting into second and first to play around. Just some advice from someone who has had repair work done on an automatic, which I still have an auto in my Z but I'm saving for 3600 Vigilante stall.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

I did that in my 2003 silverado, with shift kit and servos, and 60000 miles later havent had a problem.. I do it every now and then in my Z, but Im planning on getting a stall converter, and im waiting ot have my shift kit and stuff put in!!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Board Certified Idiot

IF your going to down shift make sure to release the gas 1st for a split sec then down shift.doing it once in a while never hurts it.Itsfools that keep the GAS smashed as they down shift from higher speeds that start to hurt the tranny. Then they blame the tranny and call it a POS for breaking .
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
IF your going to down shift make sure to release the gas 1st for a split sec then down shift.doing it once in a while never hurts it.Itsfools that keep the GAS smashed as they down shift from higher speeds that start to hurt the tranny. Then they blame the tranny and call it a POS for breaking .
Yeah defiantly let off the gas, downshift 1 gear at a time and hit the gas right when it shift so you don't engine brake as much. Man I hate doing this, but its the only way to go from a roll.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

how many of you manually downshift while racing from a roll?
Old 01-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several people knowledgeable with the internals of the 4l60e (trans builders) have said that letting the ecu downshift 4-2 is REALLY nasty for the transmission. The reason being... you are cruising at semi-highway speeds in 4th gear, you go WOT and the engine goes under full power AS the transmission is making a really really big jump down into 2nd. This will always cause a little slipping. So, according to what's been said before (again, by some pros who build 4l60e's), it's best to ease it down into 3rd *not* under power, let the revs catch up a little bit, and then drop to 2nd or let the ECU take it into 2nd. If you think of how the A4's are geared, going 4-2 it's similar to dropping down *three* gears in a manual withOUT revmatching or double-clutching. That's a pretty big downshift at WOT with no revmatch.

For these reasons, I tend to avoid lettng the ecu go 4->2 at WOT. If you have to, bleed off a little speed, pick the right gear, and then accelerate up to your racing speed.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Launching!

I've always heard when you down shift to do so with the gas pedal down so you can match the revs
Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiresmokeLS1
Several people knowledgeable with the internals of the 4l60e (trans builders) have said that letting the ecu downshift 4-2 is REALLY nasty for the transmission.
This was the reason my shop gave me whenmy car wouldnt shift any higher than 2nd, had to go with a complete rebuild.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

that 4-2 downshift only happens at low throttle right? Cruising at 60mph when you stab down, it only shifts down to third. Atleast thats what it feels like.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

It depends where the pcm cuts off the downshift points. I don't know what it is for a 2.73 car, but with 3.23s the pcm won't shift down to 2nd at full throttle above 60mph, anywhere under that and it will go all the way down to 2nd.

There's a similar break at 30mph, where it won't downshift back to first.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Is it ok to just be crusing around town doing 30 and drop it from D (in Firebird) OD in (Camaro) to 2nd just to make it louder and more noticible? I do that at times but I hate to hurt my trans
Old 01-28-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i look at it like this, its a AUTOMATIC for a reason, if it was ment ot be shifted then it would be a M6
Old 01-28-2006, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by spec_j
well i look at it like this, its a AUTOMATIC for a reason, if it was ment ot be shifted then it would be a M6
I look at like this.... If it WASNT MEANT to be manually shifted, then it wouldn't have the option to manually shift.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Belive it or Not you cant down shift your car to where it will Not hurt the tanny. its a safty feture. Gm has in the A4 Try doing 60ish or w.e and drop it into 1st it wont go. For racing best advice to give is to Relase the Gas then Apply it after the down shift into the gear selected.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

First of all let me set you all straight. Downshifting from OD to 3rd is not good on your 60E. you can do it every now and then "I QUESS" but be warned. Downshifting from O/D to 3rd brings the over-run clutches on. Continually doing this will break the lugs off the over-run hub of the input sprag. "Do not" backshift the lever without giving it some throttle to match the rpm's.

So if you want to replace a new tranny go ahead and keep trying to downshift it.

As many have asked also, it is ok to UPSHIFT your 60E. But to tell you the truth why the hell would you want to? The "E" at the end of 4L60E means electronic which means your PCM can make the descion faster and better than you can. so leave it alone. Now if you are cruising in say 3rd and want to flip it up to OD bc your on the highway and want better gas mileage then it is perfectly safe to do so.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by narc
So if you want to replace a new tranny go ahead and keep trying to downshift it. .
I agree. Let someone who hasnt replaced 2 seperate 60e's say that it dosent hurt them.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tiresmokeLS1
Several people knowledgeable with the internals of the 4l60e (trans builders) have said that letting the ecu downshift 4-2 is REALLY nasty for the transmission. The reason being... you are cruising at semi-highway speeds in 4th gear, you go WOT and the engine goes under full power AS the transmission is making a really really big jump down into 2nd. This will always cause a little slipping. So, according to what's been said before (again, by some pros who build 4l60e's), it's best to ease it down into 3rd *not* under power, let the revs catch up a little bit, and then drop to 2nd or let the ECU take it into 2nd. If you think of how the A4's are geared, going 4-2 it's similar to dropping down *three* gears in a manual withOUT revmatching or double-clutching. That's a pretty big downshift at WOT with no revmatch.

For these reasons, I tend to avoid lettng the ecu go 4->2 at WOT. If you have to, bleed off a little speed, pick the right gear, and then accelerate up to your racing speed.

^ Should be a sticky.