Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC cleaning before new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TC cleaning before new tranny

Long story short.. put a TC in, car wouldnt work afterwards, took it to shop, front pump was gone. (we broke it).. the pan was full of back suit, i gave them the go ahead to tear it down.. the sun shell was striped out, still had enough to make the car move, but one good launch and it would have let go probably.. the band was fried also.. so now im putting in another tranny.. what do I do with the TC?? if its full of crap is there anyway to clean it out before installing in a new tranny?? i dont want to have to have it broke open to clean.. should I just say to hell with it and get a new one or can i just flush it out real good with acetone or alcohol or whatever and reuse it???
Old 01-31-2006, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no way to clean a converter by running a cleaner thru it.
when the converter spins all the trash sticks to the outer shell and this sludge is hard to remove as it takes a wire brush and hot tanking to do so.
if you put a solvent in it you can debond the clutch lining,
bottom line the trash will go into your new transmission unless you get your converter rebuilt
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

the only part of the question that i didnt get answered in that post was because i kinda didnt word it right in my first post.. since the converter broke the front pump on install could it still have got crap in it?? there was no pump to push fluid up into it.. hmm.. but then again, filling it up could have sent some of it into the converter.. hmm.. maybe i could just change the fluid/filter every couple hundred miles 3 or 4 times until its cleaned out??? damn i dont wanna have to buy another converter
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the converter and turn it over a cup with a clean rag in it, to use as a filter and see if any trash comes out
Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

thanks again.. Yank is ontop of things today.. I guess if I have to get another one I know where to go..