Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Shifter Question

Wsup all. I was browsing and came across your site. I don't really fit in here, I have a 2000 Stang GT Conv. - but its got work done and is putting out over 300 rwhp and Im not lookin to argue, just get some help. My girlfriend has a 01 SS Conv A4. A couple of weeks ago while I was driving I noticed the factory shifter didnt feel like it was engaging completely (button was only going down about half way). She said that it had been doing it off and on for a while; she could care less. Yesterday I took her car to drop her off at the airport. When I got home I couldn't get it into park, just reverse and back down through the gears. I couldnt get the key out with it in neutral so I parked it with keys in till today. I've had 4 stang GT's that I have done work with all, but no auto anythings and no chevy's. I'm sure someone on here has run into this. Im hoping its a quick fix - nothing major. Is it a sensor on the brakes or something within the shifter? I really don't feel like tearing out her center console unnecessarely this weekend. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, you might have to. First, see if it is not the **** that is simply coming up, if it is then the clip on the front side of the **** needs to be reinstall or replaced. You can see the slot for it if you place the shift level all the way into first. If not you will have to remove the center console top cover to see if the cables to the shifter are still OK, this requires two 10mm (IIRC) screws to be removed from inside the center glove box and pulling the cover up from the back. There are three cables in there, on the driver's side is the actual transmission shift cable, then you have the brake lock-out solenoid which enables the selector to be pulled out of Park but only with the brakes applied. Finally cable on the passenger's side is the the ingintion key lock, this one does not allow the key to be pulled out until the selector is placed back into the Park position. Once in there make sure the Detent Rod will fully clear the Detent Plate when you push the button. You only need to use the button when going from Park to Reverse, Neutral to Reverse/Park, Overdrive to 3rd. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the info...

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. I know that the shift **** is all the way down - It is firmly in place. I'm gonna mess with it over the weekend I guess and see whats goin on. Its weird though, I can get from L/1 - reverse, all the way up and down the shift pattern with the button only 1/2 depressed and no problems. It does not want to go into park, but it can be done - it just sounds like it really hurts. I've got it into my garage and managed to get it into park, but it still won't release the ignition key. I can also get it into park noticeably easier if the e-brake is completely,all the way to the top up. Whatya think?