Sponsored by:

Possible TQ Lock-up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible TQ Lock-up Issue

Hi All,

I am new to this Forum and found it in trying to find information on a problem I have been having with my 2001 Camaro SS. Ihave owend it for about 2 years now and love it.

The porblem is, when the car is at normal operating temperature and I am cruising at around 65-70 and start to speed up, it will sometimes act like the trans is slipping. My engine RPM's go up, but I am not gaining speed as expected. I thought it is the trans, so I took it to a trans shop. They drove it with me and of course itr would not slip as I was describing it to them. They checked the trans fluid and scanned for codes. They said it is not a trans problem, but suspected it is an engine problem?

So, I took it to a local speed shop, they scanned for codes (None) and told me from my symptoms I had described it is was probably a Trans Problem.

What kills me is that it only does it when the engine is at normal operating temp and seems to go a way on days that are colder...like 50 degress and below ( I am in California). Also, when climbling steep mountains in 4th (OD) it slip all the way up. I stoped using this car to commute to work because of this and just let my wife drive it on flat land to work for now.

I have read some post's here about possible PCM settings and Mis-Fires unlocking the Torque converter.

Could this possibly be the issue?

Now I wonder how much experience my local speed shop has on debugging LS1 Camaro's since from the posts I have read here, it would seem they should have known to check the PCM settings.

Am I off base here or hwat. Also, does anyone know a good tuner in the Visalia California area that could investigate this?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting this in the Western Section of this site, I am sure there is a sponsor that can look into this for you ... or someone in your area can recommend a shop. I know some shops, but they are far from you in the San Fernando Valley.

It definately sounds like a transmission problem, although I don't think it is misfires causing TCC unlock situation. Does this car have an aftermarket stall, could be the previous owner had on in their.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I will try out the Western section. I did not realize that it was done by regions here.

Now, I just need to find Western.....

- Dan
Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Misfires will unlock the converter on purpose.

High fluid temps and a small diameter aftermarket
converter, may just not hold the torque (been
there).

Logging while it's misbehaving, is what's needed.
Trans cooler is a good idea (make that necessity,
if aftermarket converter; post mods in .sig). A
tune that just squashes misfire detection would
at least cut down on the pool of suspects.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Hi JimmyBlue,

I have no mod's at all. It is factory stock SS. The previous owners made no mod's either.

What is really wierd, is it only does it in OD on the Highway at speeds above 60-65. You can cruise and maintain speed, but when it's hot (Outside, It seems) when you hit a hill or try to speed up it will start slipping...sometimes.

You can get off the freeway, and drive on City streets and it will go thourgh all gears normally and not slip in OD driving normally City speeds of 40 - 50.

So would a local shop have the analyser to check the mis-fire logs for example and possibly bump the threshold up as you have done?

I do not seem to notice any mis-fires, which one would think I would if that was happening.

Heat could cause the Converter to "Unlock"?

Thanks,
Dan