Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a stall with all around race/street tires instead of drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a stall with all around race/street tires instead of drag radials?

I have a 2001 C5 Corvette with a stock 3.15 gear. I have recently purchased a 3.42 gear, and will have some LT headers installed soon. Everyone says a stall with street tires is nothing but tire smoke so I am wondering if there are some all around race tires that can be used on the street and be good for autoX, road racing, and be able to hook at the drag strip well also. I am sure I will have to sacrifice some tread life, but that is fine. To me handling is more important than straight line performance, and I don't want a stall if it's something that will take away traction on the street without drag radials. I want to go to various driving events and NOT have to change my tires out when I get there. Right now I am debating between the Yank SS3200 (STR 2.1)or maybe the Yank stealth3000 (1.95 STR)or none at all. I go to a few drag race events per year. Just looking for some advice to determine if I should go with the stall at all. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One data point, I have 3.42s, a fairly stock motor with
some bolt-ons and tuning, and a 3000/2.2 would blow
right through 1st and the bottom hald of 2nd gear on
stock tires and the GS-D3 Goodyears I moved up to.
Worse at the track, the GS-D3 are for clean or wet
pavement in warm weather (winter, bad idea, very low
traction when cold). I moved on to a 3500/2.0ish and
it's a bit more controllable, still able to lose it on demand.

Tires, like converters, are compromises. Jack of all trades
is master of none. But perhaps the best choice for a car
that is a driver first, toy second.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BooC5
I have a 2001 C5 Corvette with a stock 3.15 gear. I have recently purchased a 3.42 gear, and will have some LT headers installed soon. Everyone says a stall with street tires is nothing but tire smoke so I am wondering if there are some all around race tires that can be used on the street and be good for autoX, road racing, and be able to hook at the drag strip well also. I am sure I will have to sacrifice some tread life, but that is fine. To me handling is more important than straight line performance, and I don't want a stall if it's something that will take away traction on the street without drag radials. I want to go to various driving events and NOT have to change my tires out when I get there. Right now I am debating between the Yank SS3200 (STR 2.1)or maybe the Yank stealth3000 (1.95 STR)or none at all. I go to a few drag race events per year. Just looking for some advice to determine if I should go with the stall at all. Thanks in advance!
The only tire I can think of that will be good for AutoX, road racing, and drag strip that can also be used on the street for normal driving (notice I said used, not great on the street) is the Nitto 555 R or 555RII.

The regular 555R a little better at the drag strip, the RII a little better at AutoX, road racing. I have run Nitto 555R and tread life you should expect is MAYBE 8-10K. Everyone claiming 15K out of a set if Nittos is CRAZY or driving on BALD tires for 5000 miles.

You said you don't care about tread life, so these are probably your best option. That said - they are not GREAT in the rain as some proponents proclaim. They are GREAT in the rain compared to a full slick, but are downright scary in many situations where a Goodyear GS-D3 is fine (GS-D3 is my favorite street tire, Nittos 555R or 555RII are a drag radial or road racing tire that you happen to be able to drive on the street in good conditions for a limited amout of time - 8 - 10K)

In cold weather (40 degrees or less) ANY tire is going to SUCK including GS- D3's and Nitto 555Rs...

Nitto Drag radials, or road race tire are the only similar function tire I would consider driving on the street - You won't get a lot of miles out of them but warm traction is excellent and the will last 8-10K while only being a little scary driving in the rain - especially once you approach 6K+...
Old 02-19-2006, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Yank and talk to them about their Super Yank series of converters. They have a low STR which gives a softer hit to the tires.