4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Racing with a stock 4L60E

Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 0
Default Racing with a stock 4L60E

I read the WOT shifting article, but most of the talk was way above my head. That's why I decided to make a completely brand new thread instead of posting in that one.

Is shifting with the 1-2-3 any worse for your transmission than it is by just leaving it in D and racing (I'm asking because the numbers greatly help when roll racng from 30 because of the dead spot)? And if I leave the car in D and go WOT up to 140+ will the transmission be hurt shifting into 4th?

And what speed should the transmission shift into OD at? the gears page said 142 mph, but when I drove my car in 3 and went WOT I only got up to about 120 at 5800ish rpms according to the tach.

Thanks for all the help, I still don't know very much at all about my transmission and I don't want to hurt it.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Teching In

Trader Rating: 1

as far as shifting your self, there really is no advantage because the tranny is still computer controlled. I would think you would acutally lose consistency by doing so. My preference was to leave it in third and let the tranny do all the work. that way you know it is going to shift at the same time everytime and you have to third to slow you down after the traps. just my .02
str8evl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Launching!

Send a message via AIM to 98a4z28-410rwhp

the only advantage to manually shifting an automatic tranny would be if you are crusing and want to punch it you can down shift 4th to 2nd tho get the revs quicker even though when you floor it the computer will put it there anyway, but i find it helps sometimes. i've heard its really bad for your car so don't do it much.
coming soon(yearish) kooks 1 7/8s custom grind cam, arh heads, 370ci forged, pulley, possable e85, mini tub,cage,seats,harness', built rearend, stubs, halfshafts, driveshaft, full suspension.
98a4z28-410rwhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have the stock shift points? If you have the car dyno tuned the tuner can adjust everything. But beware of valve float if you still have stock springs.
Wicked ls 1 is offline   Reply With Quote