Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 help, who builds the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 700r4 help, who builds the best?

Im looking for as much help as possible here with the 700r4's. ive got a 355 in a camaro that i just keep eatting up transmissions. i think ive done everything possible to them in breaking them. i would go with a 350 or 400 but i dont want to go to a 3spd. ive had 4 of them now and looking for the 5th but i want to know where everyone else got theirs from. ive heard good about probuilt. im going to be re-doing the engine soon with something like 450-500 and then maybe a 100 shot. so let me know the luck that everyone has had in getting a 700r4 that will hold.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Dad has a TCI 700-R4 in his '81 Corvette with a GM ZZ4 355HP crate engine. He runs it pretty damn hard, and the trans has held up great. Shifts are quick and hard, hasn't slipped at all or anything like that.

One thing to be advised of though with the 700-R4: The transmission is programmed from the factory to never shift out of 3rd gear at Wide Open Throttle. Meaning you could be past the redline is 3rd, and it will just never shift. It will also kick back dwn to 3rd, from 4th, at any speed as well, whcih could equal destruction of your engine. There is a special kit you can buy and install to address the issue relatively cheaply, just note that the aftermarket builders don't usually install this kit when you buy the trans from them.