Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to order parts.. need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting ready to order parts.. need opinions

OK I am going to be installing a TH400 in the coming weeks. I would like to see some opinions on the other parts I need to order:

1. Flexplate: What flexplate is everyone running? I have seen something about a dual pattern one and seen a lot about the TCI. I want to go with a SFI approved flexplate, I just don't know if any one is better than another.

2. Tranmission shield/blanket: What all do I need to have to be legal for lets say 9.99? I am going to get the Ultra Bell, but what about a blanket or shield over the rest of the transmission, which is better per dollar with still being legal?

3. Transmisisson cooler: What do I need to look for? Any particular brands?

4. I haven't made up my mind on a shifter. How many people have made after market shifters work in a factory 6 speed console? I have found the Turbo Action Cheetah works and had some good and some bad feedback. I will be running a transbreak.

5. Crossmember: What will I need to do for a crossmember? I have the BMR crossmember that relocates the torque arm off the transmission. Can I make it work?

I think I have the converter figured out, but besides the pedal assembly and Lokar dipstick, is there anything else I am forgetting? I think I should be able to use my Denny's Nitrous ready driveshaft (at least I think that is what I have gathered from my research) without modifications.

I appreciate any help I can get. I am a newbie when it comes to the automatics, and I want this swap to go as smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by Silver Slayer; 03-11-2006 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Changed to TH400
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Come on guys, I could really use some input here.

To the top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

1. flexplate i'd go with a meziere billet its sfi approve and one of the only ones MADE IN USA. 2. you need a sfi 4.1 which most are a shield is a hard steel peice a little bigger, so if you got tunnel room, a blanket is a woven i think kevlar which has a little more flexability but peice of advise keep the straps off the headers they melt and make a pain to take off later. 3. cooler depends alot on what kinda room you got 4. the cheetah is nice if you got a break think if you want the button there hurst is also good, b&m is alright but linkage is never 100% correct.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by back4more
1. flexplate i'd go with a meziere billet its sfi approve and one of the only ones MADE IN USA. 2. you need a sfi 4.1 which most are a shield is a hard steel peice a little bigger, so if you got tunnel room, a blanket is a woven i think kevlar which has a little more flexability but peice of advise keep the straps off the headers they melt and make a pain to take off later. 3. cooler depends alot on what kinda room you got 4. the cheetah is nice if you got a break think if you want the button there hurst is also good, b&m is alright but linkage is never 100% correct.
Thanks.. Anyone have any more suggestions for me?
Old 03-11-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top... BTW, I have decided to go with the Th400 instead of a Th350.

can anyone add anything else?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 400

the 400 will give you many choices of ratios and the 350 can't
Old 03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john kilgore
the 400 will give you many choices of ratios and the 350 can't

Do you know if there are two different tail lengths I can get with the 400? I have seen conflicting posts.

If there is, do you know which one will allow me to utilize my BMR crossmember with the relocation torque arm mount?

BTW this is a 99 Camaro. Any help you can give I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Kevin