Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny just went

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranny just went

OK guys, I was on my way home from the range yesterdayand the car was driving fine. Well all of a sudden, when it went to shift into third, the engine just reved up and car wasnt going any faster. I just backed off and put in 2nd and babied it the few miles i had left to go. Took it to my mechanic and he said it needs a new trans. He said I had a few options. I could get a replacement one , nothing special, and its would have a 1 year 12k warranty. Another option would be to get a local guy to rebuild it. The third was to get a jasper transmission that came with a 3 year 75k warranty for like 2650 installed, thats the one her recommended.
My question is what would be my best option. The only thing really done to the car now is a catback that was on it when I bought it a few months ago. I plan on keeping at a while and doing a few bolt ons and not much else. Would like it to shift a little harder than stock but not looking for a race tranny. I am pretty new to all of this so any help would really be appreciated. I live in the Philadelphia area so if anybody in the area knows of any places to check out let me know. It is an automatic btw.

Thanks for reading guys, and feedback would be great.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

If you are gonna spend that much, go all the way and get an FLT.

www.finishlinetrans.com
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

It says with exchange. Would it end up costing more to have someone take mine out now, ship to them, ship the new one up and pay to have it installed? I am leaving in a few weeks for training and this is my only vehicle, so I cant have it out of commision very long.
Thanks for the quick reply,
Brad
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention once I get back from training I will be moving to the southern border from PA so any local place that warranties their work wouldnt factor in, it would have to be a nation wide thing. That was one of the reasons the Jasper trans was suggested, does anyone have any experience on them.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its just your third gear it sounds like it could be worn clutch bands. mine does the same, first few gears are fine but 2-3 shift at wot wont shift, it just redlines till i let off. a QUALITY rebuild may be the best option, is your car around 80k miles or so?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Its about 77k right now. I have been doing alot of reading and it seems 2/3 seems to be the big problem with the stock trans. I havent been able to find a decent rebuilder around here, but im going to start asking some of the local guys and see what they say.
Brad
Old 03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going the route of a built 700r4. We'll see how it goes. Either way will be the cheapest option I have.