Sponsored by:

Advise: Is it time to step up to a better stall then my TCI

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advise: Is it time to step up to a better stall then my TCI

Hey all:

Look at my sig to see all my mods to date. I am having my trans fully built right now and had a few questions.

I have the TCI 3,200 Street Fighter with a 2.2 STR with maybe 2,000 miles on it. I want to stay with the same size stall. I am very pleased with the 3,200.

1st question: Does the Street Fighter series have the anti ballooning plates in them?

2nd question: Should I step up to another brand for better quality? I am putting some good money into the trans and I would hate to see my stall cause the trans to go out.

Any input would be much apperciated. Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

According to TCI's website, it has anti-ballooning plates on the trans side. As to whether you should replace it, the fear with TCI's mainly has to do with the lock-up clutch going bad, and specifically in your case, with clutch material ending up in your tranny. The advantage to going to another converter would be getting one with a billet front cover and a heavy-duty clutch. If you're going to spray or go to a stroker, that might be advisable. If not, and your built tranny will have the Transgo shift kit in it, you could stay with your TCI. The Transgo gives a lot more positive lock-up than stock.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say stay with the TCI I have used a tci for along time over 500 passes and about 500pounds of n20 with 0 problems I bought a PY3600 Yank nitrous converter it lasted a month the lock up clutch fell apart trashing my brand new trans, I am now running a TCI 4000 it is 60ft almost .1 better then the yank on motor and .5 better on the spray
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know gearstar recommends YANK for their transmissions. I am not even sure if you can get the transmissions WITHOUT a yank converter. I have never had any expereince with any other brands, but I would give them a call and talk to them about your setup. They would probably stand behind it.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

1BLOWNV8,
The converter will handle the power. It does have an anti-ballooning plate on the trans side. If you want to upgrade to a billet cover, you can send it back to me and we'll rebuild and upgrade the converter for a nominal charge.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
1BLOWNV8,
The converter will handle the power. It does have an anti-ballooning plate on the trans side. If you want to upgrade to a billet cover, you can send it back to me and we'll rebuild and upgrade the converter for a nominal charge.
Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin: Can I get your number so I can call you to go over this and see how much it will be and if there is anything else I need to upgrade plus the turn around to get it back. I would apperciate it very much. Thanks Ken

I will also PM you with my number.