Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Installation

Will be installing my tranny cooler and converter here in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to get a head start and get everything together that I will need for the install. Anyone have a list of it all? Also is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

if you bought a B&M cooler, it will come with everything you need. only thing left to do it decide where you wanna mount it, in front of the radiator or "dope" style

converter: dont lose the cooler line e-clips, have some extra long socket extensions and a swivel socket (go for the top bellhousing bolt from the top of the tranny, not from the side), make sure the converter is fully seated, get plenty of fluid and check it often before you romp on it, and dont round out your converter bolts upon removal.

check out the writeup by ModernMusclecars, its all you need to know
Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the cooler from summit. It is part #SUM-G4961A. What is the "dope" way to mount the cooler? So it should come with cooler line e-clips? Why are those so important? Also why go from the top and not the side of the bellhousing?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

-I dont know anything about the summit cooler
-Dope Style is mounting the cooler up under the front of the car where the corner air vent grates are (people mount this way if they have the Fast Toys Raim Air kits)
-doesnt come with e-clips, dont lose the 2 that youll be taking off
-its easier to reach and wrench on the top bolt coming from the top, you'll understand when you're doing it
-have a buddy helping you
go here: http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot for the help and the link. I might be in a bit of trouble because my y-pipe is welded onto the exhaust system.

If I do change the filter and stuff I just need like 8 quarts of Dexron 3?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

The tranny dipstick is going to be a bitch. I would leave it bolted on up top, it will come out once you lower the tranny. Go ahead and replace the dipstick boot, there only a couple of bucks and good insurance. You don't want to find out you have a leak once everything is bolted back up. Also you want to replace the Turbine Shaft O-ring. It's vital to converter lockup. 8 Quarts should bring you up to level, if not maybe another half. Good luck
Old 04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
The tranny dipstick is going to be a bitch. I would leave it bolted on up top, it will come out once you lower the tranny. Go ahead and replace the dipstick boot, there only a couple of bucks and good insurance. You don't want to find out you have a leak once everything is bolted back up. Also you want to replace the Turbine Shaft O-ring. It's vital to converter lockup. 8 Quarts should bring you up to level, if not maybe another half. Good luck
So where can I pick up a new boot and turbine shaft o-ring? Should I use just dexron 3?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

make sure you PUT FLUID IN YOUR TC. I did not, burnt the pump in the trans 695.00 to fix the pump, but i saved money on labor fot the TC haha
Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone have pictures of them mounting their tranny cooler or of the locations?