Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys in the tranny business

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys in the tranny business

Many moons ago when I spent serveral years in an independent trans. shop,the way we fired a trans was converter dry fill the pan w/ 4-5 qts. fire the motor put it in reverse (tires off the ground) and poor another 5 or so qts and then go thru all the gears and start checking it.Has this procedure changed with you guys? I know the fluid amount might vary per trans.THANKS
Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well these days the convertor company's like for the converter to have some oil in for initial start up. Reason for this is for lube and also they want you to soak the lock up clutch. IMO it's the right way to do it. In the old days I would agree with you that's how I did it. But I have found on the trans dyno is when you fire it up dry it thends to knock or make noise for a bit. This can't be good for a new convertor.

Last edited by FLT; 04-02-2006 at 09:02 PM. Reason: mis-type
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I would like to hear what these guys (sponsors do)GM ships there trannys with the converters in,do they have fluid in them?Interesting if it is mentioned in the late model GM service manuals.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to put ATF in the converter to lube the pump and oil the bearings and clutch surface
if you do not do this the converter will run dry and overheat the bearings and damage the inner sprage roller clutch assy. and the front hub
The front pump bushing of the transmission can also run dry till the converter fills.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a shop (but my Dad was)...

First, 1 qt in TC, install TC, install trans.

Then, 8 qts down fill tube.
Start engine.
Go thru gears a few times.
Check level and add upto 3 more qts.
Allow to warm up and recheck level.

You know how much a trans. holds, so adjust the 8 qt step for different trans.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I have never had any converter building experience but I would have to believe that most converters are assembled much like any engine or transmission.Engines are assembled with special lubes or oils to prevent damage from dry starts.Just as transmissions are assembled with a lube waxy like with a low melting point and bearings are soaked in ATF just as clutches and steals are soaked to get accurate clearances and an eliminate dry start damage.Converter lock up discs could also be pre soaked I assume.

Last edited by gonzo 6.0; 04-02-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Converter parts near the outside edge have to be dry when the converter is welded together.

Converter gets hot when welded.... after tacking, the circumference is welded in one continuous weld.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go 1qrt. in the converter and fil the trans just a couple quarts shy of capacity. Then add 1-2 quarts after the trans is warm.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by joecar
Converter parts near the outside edge have to be dry when the converter is welded together.

Converter gets hot when welded.... after tacking, the circumference is welded in one continuous weld.
Is this fact or is it SWAG? A stupid wild *** guess.I have seen converters shells get welded.It is clean and it is fast cant imagine the center bearings having any heat to deal with or even the converter disc having the temp like it would during normal hard use service.