Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission not wanting to shift while racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission not wanting to shift while racing

i am posting this for my buddy. hes at the point where he just wants to fire bomb his TA and it makes me mad to see that his car is doing this and him getting so angre with it....but when ever he takes it to the track or is on the road driving (driving it like he was on the track pretty much) he will changing down into the manual shifting ( where he shifts from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to D{drive}) usually at a light and takes off. the problem is that when he takes off and gets to 4800-5000 RPM's he shifts to 2nd and the car makes a wha wha wha sound and wont shift into the 2nd gear. it will get up into about 5500 RPMs before it will shift while making that wha wha wha sound (its almost like its stalling trying to get into the next gear). he will have to let off the gas to allow it to shift and its like that for every gear. thing thing is that it never did that before the other night so it was quite able and did fine doing it before. i think it might be the torque converter but i dont really know.CAN ANY HELP PLEASE BEFORE HE TRASHS HIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

ttt...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

My did the same thing by itself. I regret to say it needed a rebuild.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

what exactly needed a rebuild?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Dont remember exactly. I believe the clutches were burnt bad. I just bought a rebuild kit from ProBuilt though he sent me the wrong stuff.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably the WOT MPH shiftpoints are inconsistent with
the RPM shiftpoints / rev limiter. This is very common
with any converter worth installing. I'd try a little tune
work before you break out the gasoline and road flare.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is he trying to manually shift a non manual valve automatic?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

sounds to me like the clutch bands are going bad, had this happen to me when mine went bad and i would drive it hard, then it eventually started doin it all the time whether it was bein drivin hard or not.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

does it do t whenever he drives it hard and is not manually shifting it? and i agree, why is he manually shifting a non manual valve automatic?

Last edited by madcrazy; 04-09-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

did he do anything like a gear change, or mess with shift points. if so he may need to mess with program. like everyone else said he shouldn't be trying to shift the car manually. If he hasn't done anything to the car the tranny is about to go BOOM!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

yea he did a gear change in the rear end to a 3.75 i think..as far as his manually shifting it he has more control over the time that it pulls in its run and to be honest he has had the car for about 5 years and he has raced it like that always and it has been fine. he already tuned it though with a hypertech so..????? like i said though we think its either the tranny, clutch, or torque converter. we'll look into those though
Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marine4life
yea he did a gear change in the rear end to a 3.75 i think..as far as his manually shifting it he has more control over the time that it pulls in its run and to be honest he has had the car for about 5 years and he has raced it like that always and it has been fine. he already tuned it though with a hypertech so..????? like i said though we think its either the tranny, clutch, or torque converter. we'll look into those though
Like others said, the tuning could be an issue. As far as manually shifting the tranny. There is no reason to. All he is going to do more than likely is hurt the tranny or smack the rev limiter alot by not shifting it fast enough. There is no way possible that he can out shift the computer. Its just not going to happen.

Get the tuning/shift points worked out. Hopefully the tranny isnt hurt and keep it in d/od. If he wanted to shift gears he should of bought a stick. With the newer technology there's no reason to rip thru the gears manually, especially when racing.

I just wanted to add that I've read a ton of jimmyblues post about tranny tuning. Maybe you could search under his user name and come up with some great advice as well. After you get past his kinda confusing (to me anyway, sometimes )wordings, he offers great help.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

i let him read the posts and he is wondering about this...... if the computer is so great then why is he so much faster when he is in manual?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marine4life
i let him read the posts and he is wondering about this...... if the computer is so great then why is he so much faster when he is in manual?
It has to be in the tune. The shift points have alot do to with the times. If your buddy is out shifting the computer (and this is my opinion) something isnt right with the tune or the tranny is messed up. Like I said there is no way you can out shift the computer. So you would think if he got the tranny tunning where it should be the car would be a little quicker. Bottom line you can't out shift the computer unless something isnt right to begin with.

Like said above go to advance search type jimmyblue for the user and tranny for what to search for. In my opinion he has alot of great tranny tuning post.