Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans temp sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans temp sending unit?

hey guys, i am getting my tranny back here sometime this week hopefully and i bought a trans temp gauge so i don't toast it again and i was wondering where is the best place to put the sending unit for it.

pics would be nice too

also, it's a 4L60E trans in a 98 Z, and it's an autometer gauge

along with that i still need to find an A pillar pod somewhere and would like to find one cheap and that i can get pretty quick. i am only getting one gauge so i would like to just get a one gauge pod.

along with that, i am installing a cooler too, but was wondering what is the best way to hook it up too.

I know this is a lot of questions at one time but i want to do this right the first time if you know what i mean. thanks guys
Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Not trying to be a dick or anything and I see you have a very low post count so you might not know...

But all these issues have been talked about over & over again, if you do a search you will find all the info you will ever need, along with actual install instructions...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mount the sender in the return cooler line or in the oil pan. IMO the right way to do it.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

well i know that there is plenty of other posts asking the same questions but i don't have anytime at all to look for these things because of school, finishing my car and loads of other things i have to do.

and are you saying put it in the line that goes to the cooler from the trans or from the cooler to the trans.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I actually had a threaded port welded into the front side of my Derale Deep Cooling Tranny pan and threaded the sensor into that - but many have just installed the sensor in the port on the side of the tranny that you can see on DS right above the shifter cable mechanism - there is a plug in the port currently from tha factory.

-Jay-
Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Launching!

i don't have the tranny with me right now but does it just screw in just like that or does it have to be tapped or anything.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=1QUIKWS6- but many have just installed the sensor in the port on the side of the tranny that you can see on DS right above the shifter cable mechanism - there is a plug in the port currently from tha factory.

-Jay-[/QUOTE]

The port that you are talking about is a line pressure port and is not the right place to get true trans temp. Yes it's the easy way to go but not the correct way to go. The sensor needs to be located in the return cooler line or in the oil pan.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Launching!

what about a gauge pod guys?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

The port that you are talking about is a line pressure port and is not the right place to get true trans temp. Yes it's the easy way to go but not the correct way to go.
Exactly why I put mine in the pan, figured it was one of the better spots, and why not do it before the pan install.

As far as the gage pod goes - try Summit or Jegs (unless you just happen to find one FS in classifieds) they are probably the cheapest. You'll probably find that once you get the single pod that you wish you had gone with the double or triple - the factory Water Temp gage is really nothing more than an 'idiot' gage and reads basically the same value (unless the car is overheating) - always good to have an aftermarket H2O temp gage to let you know exactly what is happening.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Exactly why I put mine in the pan, figured it was one of the better spots, and why not do it before the pan install.

As far as the gage pod goes - try Summit or Jegs (unless you just happen to find one FS in classifieds) they are probably the cheapest. You'll probably find that once you get the single pod that you wish you had gone with the double or triple - the factory Water Temp gage is really nothing more than an 'idiot' gage and reads basically the same value (unless the car is overheating) - always good to have an aftermarket H2O temp gage to let you know exactly what is happening.
he has a 98, our water temp guages work!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

How true - my bad. That's what happens when you don't read every word
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The port that you are talking about is a line pressure port and is not the right place to get true trans temp. Yes it's the easy way to go but not the correct way to go. The sensor needs to be located in the return cooler line or in the oil pan.
Its so funny to see that. I've tried explaining that to people countless times only to be told how wrong I am and blah, blah, blah.

I have the autometer temp manifold in the return line
Old 04-11-2006, 11:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by King James
Its so funny to see that. I've tried explaining that to people countless times only to be told how wrong I am and blah, blah, blah.

I have the autometer temp manifold in the return line
Well you can lead a horse to water but can you make him drink it? You know what I,m saying. You are right.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Launching!

do i need to ground the sending unit, because it is in the middle of two rubber hoses