Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stock transmission shifts "slowly."

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stock transmission shifts "slowly."

I don't often drive my car fast. (I shouldve gotten a Malibu). I notice when im driving slowly, the transmission shifts slowly, exhibiting a lag, almost as if it doesn't want to shift. When my RPMs are higher, it seems to shift fine. Is this normal?
Another thing, yesterday I decided to push the car a bit, straight line acceleration. My 1-2 shift was tight, just as it was doing a 2-3 shift, I noticed that I was going faster than i wanted to be going, so I pulled off the throttle about halfway. As it shifted, it kinda sorted sounded/felt like it made a strange vibrating type thing. I'm not sure if anyone understands, but is this normal?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can tell you sometimes when i floor it, the 2-1 down shift is really slow, like more than a second. I dont know what causes it, maybe heat? I noticed when i put my tranny cooler in, it doesent do it. It pisses me off though when it happends. Hopefully, when i install my yank converter, it will help.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

yeah man, i think its normal for the tranny to shift slowly/oddly if you let off on the throttle right before it shift, b/c my car kind of does that. sometimes it feels like it can't really pick the right gear when you don't give it much throttle. So i'm not sure if this is what is happening with you...hope it helps. If anyone wants to tell us why it does this or technically what is happening that would be cool.