Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Rebiuld Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Rebiuld Help

right now my car has only about 32,000 miles on it ... only headers and exhaust and the tranny is already slipping like CRAZY....

im planning on getting a head and cam packaage installed soon and i know my tranny wont handle that for long...

so im planning on a moser 12 bolt and wither a rebuilt tranny or a new one...

what do yall reccommend...rebuild or new tranny and which tranny....

thanks and a price estimate if you could thanks......
Old 04-13-2006, 03:46 AM
11 Second Club

if you are gunna put a heads and cam i then just go with an FLP stage 4. that is what im putting in my camaro. if you get it rebuilt then you might as well build the tranny up which will cost $2000 or so anyways.

steve
Old 04-13-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you go with a rebuilt you should be able to request they beef it up to make it stronger ,without adding to much $$$$
Old 04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

I would honestly just wait till your stock one blows then contact Rodney at RPM Transmissions
Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

How did you determine it's slipping, seat of the pants or are you logging w/ something like HPT? When is it slipping? At every shift, only 1/2 or 2/3, only on downshift at cruising speed? If you're not scanning it you should try to find a way to. According to what it is you might be able to do a tune fix by upping line pressures, changing shift times, etc. If it's actual clutch slippage this isn't really a fix but if it's just slow soft mushy shifting it is a fix and can help decrease clutch abuse caused by slow apply.

If you do need a rebuild do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Buy upgraded parts (beast shell, ect) a rebuild kit (w/ good clutches/steels) and a manual specific to your year and go to it. You may need some tools you don't own (to compress springs, remove split rings, etc.) It will save you a ton of money and you can say you did it yourself. A hint if you've never done it before, set up two benches. One to lay parts on in the order removed as you tear it down and the other to assemble on.

To get some other ideas about what's involved go over to www.firebirdnation.com, register and then look at the tech articles. There's a very good one with close to step by step 4L60E rebuild instructions and pictures.

And yes I've done this myself. A few weeks ago I did a complete 4L60E rebuild. This was the first time I had seen the inside of a 4L60. Took it out and apart on a Saturday and rebuilt and installed on Sunday. Two full days of work but the way I figured it I was making about $80/$90 an hour
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can a blown tranny be returned as a core?? Or do you have to return it before it's done?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crewchef
And yes I've done this myself. A few weeks ago I did a complete 4L60E rebuild. This was the first time I had seen the inside of a 4L60. Took it out and apart on a Saturday and rebuilt and installed on Sunday. Two full days of work but the way I figured it I was making about $80/$90 an hour
Crewchef, good work, way to go.