Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 problems

I'm having issues with my newly installed TH400. It doesn't seem to want to shift into second or third. First gear seems fine. But second it slips ALOT almost like its in neutral, but I feel some pull but not much. Third gear is non-existant. There is also a funky smell after parking the car. Like burnt tranny oil or something. I just adjusted the llinkage and pretty sure its right. B&M cooler 24k is installed. It doesn't seem to be heating up much which is good. Checked fluid level and is fine. The convertor is a Fuddle 3600. I wonder if this might be the problem and not the tranny.

Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

What I think the problem is....stuck, missing or leaking kickdown (detent) solenoid.

Ideas...the governor doesn't match the rear gear and or tire height. Vaccum modulator problem.

Maybe give us some details on this trans. If it's a rmvb it doesn't have a governor or modulator, or detent solenoid, etc. Need more info. Who built it? who installed it? was it calibrated for the application?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
What I think the problem is....stuck, missing or leaking kickdown (detent) solenoid.

Ideas...the governor doesn't match the rear gear and or tire height. Vaccum modulator problem.

Maybe give us some details on this trans. If it's a rmvb it doesn't have a governor or modulator, or detent solenoid, etc. Need more info. Who built it? who installed it? was it calibrated for the application?
Sure...that tranny was built by Transking in Galveston. It has a forward manual valve body. I installed it myself. Could have been a mistab, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't: when I installed the transmission (the engine was out of the car) I stabbed the vertor into the transmission. Tried to make sure it was all the way back. Bolted and torqued the bellhousing to the engine, and was able to turn the the convetor by hand before I bolted it to the flexplate (a headsup tip given to me by good ole dad).

The one thing that keeps popping into my mind is that there was a little spacer that was on the end of the convertor when it was shipped to me from Fuddle. Did I need that? I took it off thinking that I didn't. I looked kindof worthless to me.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Didn't install the spacer? I bet it has a vibration that changes with engine speed?

The last thing it could be is the converter not all the way in.

Sometimes it's hard to feel the shifts with a high stall converter, have you tried shifting well above your stall speed, say like 6,000.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

No vibration. So I need to pull the tranny and install the spacer?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 408WS6
No vibration. So I need to pull the tranny and install the spacer?
Is this an LS engine with a non LS converter?
A properly built LS th400 converter should have a long converter pilot WELDED on, it should look similiar to the stock one.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

Is this an LS engine with a non LS converter?
A properly built LS th400 converter should have a long converter pilot WELDED on, it should look similiar to the stock one.
Actually, a bought a flexplate from TCI that was specifically for LS1/TH400. Then I ordered the convertor from Fuddle with that info in hand (he knew about the TCI Flexplate). Everything should have bolted right up, and it did. I think that spacer was for something else. It would have not fit into the hole in the flexplate (spacer was too big) which was why I left it off. I saw no need in it. What is that spacer for anyway? To keep it centered?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

What I'm getting at is this. The pilot on the front of the converter HAS TO go into the CRANK at least 1/8". Thats what some spacers are for, to extend the pilot or to bolt to the outside of the flexplate to extend the hole the pilot goes into.

It doesn't really matter what flexplate you have the bottom line is the pilot has to be inside the crank.

BTW this has nothing to do with the other issues you're having with the trans shifting.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

I'll give Fuddle a call Monday to make sure that the spacer was or wasn't needed. I'd still like to find out why my 2nd and 3rd gear are not there
Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

I edited a post up the page, not sure if you seen it. It refered to this.

What I would do is run it well above the stall speed and see if you can feel the shifts.
I have a RMVB TH400 in a '75 nova with a 438, it stalls around 3200 but it's real soft at low rpm, above stall speed it gets more firm.

Does your trans have a vacuum modulator? It's not needed with a manual vb but some builders believe it saves the pump by reducing line pressure at low engine loads. If you have one you can adjust it to make the shifts more firm.
If it doesn't have one then modulator pressure is at max.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

I edited a post up the page, not sure if you seen it. It refered to this.

What I would do is run it well above the stall speed and see if you can feel the shifts.
I have a RMVB TH400 in a '75 nova with a 438, it stalls around 3200 but it's real soft at low rpm, above stall speed it gets more firm.

Does your trans have a vacuum modulator? It's not needed with a manual vb but some builders believe it saves the pump by reducing line pressure at low engine loads. If you have one you can adjust it to make the shifts more firm.
If it doesn't have one then modulator pressure is at max.
I don't believe it has a vacuum modulator but I could be wrong. But I think we are heading in the right direction. The line presure does have me concerned. What happens when the line pressure is at max? Does that make it not want to shift? Please excuse my transmission ignorance as I've always just taken these things for granted until now. I really appreciate your help
Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 408WS6
I don't believe it has a vacuum modulator but I could be wrong. But I think we are heading in the right direction. The line presure does have me concerned. What happens when the line pressure is at max? Does that make it not want to shift? Please excuse my transmission ignorance as I've always just taken these things for granted until now. I really appreciate your help
When there is no modulator there is usually an aluminum plug in it's place, this is how it is on my trans. This plug puts the trans at max modulator pressure. That could cause problem with an automatic vb, but with a manual it should make it shift more firm.

Quick Reply: TH400 problems