Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Converter! A Few Other Questions...

Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuddle Converter! A Few Questions about Tranny...

I just ordered a Fuddle 3000 2.0STR converter. Well my tranny has 102,000 miles on it, and I was wondering what some of you higher milage guys were doing as far a "upgrades" when switching a converter.

Well of course a tranny cooler is first off, but i was looking at thunder racing site and they have some of the TCI rebuilt kits and also some shift kits by TransGo. I was wondering if it would worth it to put one of those kits in along with the new converter or one of the shift kits, OR with its age now just put the converter in and just see how long it will last and then get it fully upgraded once its goes.

I kindof jumped into this not thinking about how much it may cost to get everything upgraded. Usually $2000 or so to get a tranny fully upgraded. (Which at this time is def. not in the car funds)

So basically what Im asking is if anyone has had a milage situation relatively close to mine, give me your experience with what you did. Also any suggestions of what you would do or not do...Im all ears...Thanks fellas

Last edited by HILL_SS; 05-01-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have any suggestions???
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 45,000 miles on my engine but 150,000 miles on my tranny w/ a 3600 stall and have had no problems as of yet. However I don't beat on my car every day, well I hardly drive it at all. I would say put the stall in w/ the tranny cooler and start saving for the rebuild. Just my .02
Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that may be what i do...Will I have to get a tranny flush when this all gets installed...I just got one last Feb.

I ordered the B&M cooler and 5 quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF...hopefully this should get me taken care of...If there is anything Im missing please help me add to my list. TIA
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A new filter too and I think you might need more than 5 quarts since you're adding a tranny cooler. Just make sure to monitor your fluid level for the 1st couple hundred miles or so. You also might want to look into a tranny temp guage to monitor things. Just my .02
Old 05-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I had just under 100k when my 3800 went in. Didn't do anything for tuning at all and it still runs strong, daily drive it (~150miles a week) and go to the drag strip quite a few times during the year. It has ~115k on it now.

Seems as though some people have bad luck though, would be best to set aside a fund in case something does go.

As for the shift kit, I don't know, I upped the pressure in mine slightly with a programmer and it feels a lot better, but that's not quite the same as one that goes inside the tranny. Might want to ask someone at Fuddle what they'd recommend.

And zspot is right, you'll need somewhere around 10 to 13 quarts (I don't remember the exact number) if you're going to fill everything after it's drained.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HILL_SS, I was just thinking...Make sure and fill up the new converter w/ fluid before you put it into the tranny. I wanna say mine took almost a quart. Also as I was thinking I'm pretty sure we used 10 quarts when we did my TC install. Hope everything goes well and make sure to tell us what you think. That is, if you can get the smile off your face after the first test drive.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

If I were you, I'd add the Transgo shift kit. It will complement your converter nicely and may even help extend the life of your trans.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Restricted User

The "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kit will work very well here.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HILL_SS
I just ordered a Fuddle 3000 2.0STR converter. Well my tranny has 102,000 miles on it, and I was wondering what some of you higher milage guys were doing as far a "upgrades" when switching a converter.

Well of course a tranny cooler is first off, but i was looking at thunder racing site and they have some of the TCI rebuilt kits and also some shift kits by TransGo. I was wondering if it would worth it to put one of those kits in along with the new converter or one of the shift kits, OR with its age now just put the converter in and just see how long it will last and then get it fully upgraded once its goes.

I kindof jumped into this not thinking about how much it may cost to get everything upgraded. Usually $2000 or so to get a tranny fully upgraded. (Which at this time is def. not in the car funds)

So basically what Im asking is if anyone has had a milage situation relatively close to mine, give me your experience with what you did. Also any suggestions of what you would do or not do...Im all ears...Thanks fellas
If your putting down over 400rwhp you may really want to consider the TCI upgraded kit.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd recommend not to mess with your torque management if you want it to last for a while. I know some will say that deleting TM has no effect on the tranny but I disagree. When I first put in my converter I left it alone. Ran it for about 25k with no problems. Well I decided to delete the TM and after about 5k the tranny blew.

Like others said start putting aside some funds just in case it happens.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
I'd recommend not to mess with your torque management if you want it to last for a while. I know some will say that deleting TM has no effect on the tranny but I disagree. When I first put in my converter I left it alone. Ran it for about 25k with no problems. Well I decided to delete the TM and after about 5k the tranny blew.

Like others said start putting aside some funds just in case it happens.

Jake, not trying to be a dick, but are you 100% positive that removing the TM is what caused your tranny to blow? I have heard this statement argued to death and have never seen a conclusive answer or proof that removing the TM will kill you tranny. I've had mine TM deleted on my car since I did the stall and have never had a problem. Just looking for some concrete proof that removing TM will cause tranny failure. Thanks, Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it didn't then it played a big part in it. Like I said, I hadn't had any problems with the tranny with running TM. Then after a full day tuning and deleting it, 5k later I completely destroyed my tranny along with the converter. Converter was new as well. It had about 5k on it when the tranny let go.

I would say that it puts a strain on the tranny bigtime and expect the tranny to explode sooner then if you were running TM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i made a post about rebuilding in the "should i install the yank?" thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/499693-should-i-install-yank.html

Last edited by RICEETER; 05-03-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICEETER
i made a post about rebuilding in the "should i install the yank?" thread. read it
If you're gonna quote it...link it.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zspot98
If you're gonna quote it...link it.
GOTCHA BOSS! sorry for falling down on the job, SIR.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL thanks a lot for the opinions and keeping me in check. I wonder how many people on this board have done a tranny rebiuld before they installed there TC? I know I didn't and still have no problems to date, but your post in the thread "should i install the yank?" has made me change my thought process. Also your original response was to a person who was already having problems w/ there tranny unlike this thread where he was wanting to know what he'd need (assuming his tranny his in good working order).

Last edited by zspot98; 05-03-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Search this Thread