Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing Converter after Trans Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusing Converter after Trans Failure?

I just installed a TCI SF3000 and after 20 miles my trans died on me. Is there any reason to fear reusing this converter? I plan on flushing the converter as throughly as possible myself before installation on the new trans.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I would fear reusing it if: there was any evidence of debris in the pan; if I did not have a tranny cooler installed; if the tranny was not set up for the converter (e.g. increased diameter separator plate holes) and line pressure was low after the install.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I would fear reusing it if: there was any evidence of debris in the pan; if I did not have a tranny cooler installed; if the tranny was not set up for the converter (e.g. increased diameter separator plate holes) and line pressure was low after the install.
Don't be sorry do at least a cut and clean!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't reuse it without sending it back to TCI for an inspection. It's way cheaper than ruining a new transmission.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Launching!

20 Miles and the tranny died? What happened?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've re-used the convertor 3 times now after a rebuild of burned up clutches. The oil is always filtered before it goes to the convertor. The plate trash is dumped in the pan. I do a fluid swap about 10 miles after rebuilding the transmission. I've had no problems with any of the 3 transmissions afterward. One stock, One Midwest and One Vigilante convertor so far. Vig tech support even suggested I not have the unit rebuilt. To get as much fluid out as possible I used a syphon type air nozzle on my air line to suck the fluid out of the convertor as it lays on it's back side.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Red Heartbeat
I've re-used the convertor 3 times now after a rebuild of burned up clutches. The oil is always filtered before it goes to the convertor. The plate trash is dumped in the pan. I do a fluid swap about 10 miles after rebuilding the transmission. I've had no problems with any of the 3 transmissions afterward. One stock, One Midwest and One Vigilante convertor so far. Vig tech support even suggested I not have the unit rebuilt. To get as much fluid out as possible I used a syphon type air nozzle on my air line to suck the fluid out of the convertor as it lays on it's back side.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Import Patrol

I had the same problem. But sent mine out to tci to do the cut and flush for extra precaution. It ran me like $125.00 And that will be the best time to have them restall it if you want.