Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan for my tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan for my tranny cooler/or better location???

Ok well I bought a flexlite 6in fan for my tranny cooler and he doesn't seem to be helping at all. It is part nuber flx-106. I have the cooler mounted under the pass. headlight since that is the only place I could get it to fit with the fan attached to it. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement blade for this fan because only half of the diameter of the fan is actually fan blade? I would think that a fan with a smaller center section and longer blades could suck more air through the cooler. Or does anyone know of another type of fan that might work? Here are some picture sI just drew up so that yall can see what I'm talking about.

This is what is on there now. See how big the center section is?

This what I am thinking would work better. A smaller center section with longer blades.

Or would some 12v computer fans work better? Please someone help. I'm tired of my tranny temps going over 200. I just got the new tranny installed and I want it to last.

Last edited by blu98ta; 05-08-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you have your tranny cooler mounted? FWIW, mine never goes above 150 degrees in the city, and I don't use any fans. I think it has to due with how my cooler is mounted
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Mine is mounted on the pass side basically underneath the coolant overflow container. Where is yours mounted?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine sits right behind the passenger side's opening on the grill, so it's getting a lot of air shooting right at it through the grill and factory opening. If you look in the hole all you can see is cooler
Old 05-07-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have it mounted right under the coolant reservoir, up against it, your getting no airflow, a fan wont help that. You need to mount it in a better spot..my car never goes over 150 unless its 80+ degrees and im sitting in traffic... 180 is the max i've seen, except on the dyno.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is after about 30 minute of driving 30-40 in the city. I had just gotten on the interstate, hit ~70, and took the pic. ~3k rpm is about what the engine sits at, at ~70 mph

Old 05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nikon1999
if you have it mounted right under the coolant reservoir, up against it, your getting no airflow, a fan wont help that. You need to mount it in a better spot..my car never goes over 150 unless its 80+ degrees and im sitting in traffic... 180 is the max i've seen, except on the dyno.
Where is yours mouted nikon?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the cooler where the old AC piece was in front of the radiator and never see above 150
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

I have the ssra, so there is no room to mount it to the radiator/AC. Any help?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blu98ta
I have the ssra, so there is no room to mount it to the radiator/AC. Any help?
Thats a tough one......you will have to find some spot where its going to get good air flow.
I run a B&M Hi Tek cooler bypassing the stock radiator cooler and my temps stay about where Strahleys are. I have no AC condenser and my cooler is mounted to the stock radiator on the drivers side, I have no front bumper support and I deleted the fog lights so my cooler gets a straight shot of cool air.

I know you can,t go that far to get good air flow so your going to have to get creative and find a spot that gets your cooler some fresh cool air.
I have a perma cool fan sitting out in the garage and they can really help but they need to be able to put some air through your cooler. If its in a bad spot the fan won,t help. I thought I would need one with the 4k stall but it turns out I don,t.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

I have a fast toys ram air and mounting it dope style has worked well for me
Old 05-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two things. One, need ducting so that the air is forced
to exit through the cooler fins, not skate out across
the face. Same idea as the shroud on the radiator fans,
constrain the airflow to where it does its job. Two,
need the "used" air to go somewhere else and not just
loop back around to the fan inlet. Either duct the fan
inlet, from someplace fresh, or make the exchanger
outlet waft out to open air etc.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Launching!

That fan is listed as a puller, so it pulls air from the opposite side of the cooler. It needs to be mounted on top of the cooler in the position that you have to to be effective.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On FTRA, you can stick the cooler to the side of the unit. Can you do it with SSRA?

Dope style:

http://fear.net/~dope/old_camaro/tranny_cooler/
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Those temps under 150 are great! I just installed mine and got the car tunes with my cam not to long ago. I don't see temps over 150 on the highway but driving the car around town it climbs up to 180 easy. My cooler is mounted right in the center front of the condenser/radiator. I'm still piped through the stock cooler... is this my problem? 24,000 B&M BTW.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

If you're looking for some nice fans (quality/size/CFM) for Aux Cooling apps then I have these for sale:

(2) SPAL Cooling Fans, 5” Square, Hi CFM Perfect for auxiliary cooling on Intercoolers/Tranny/Oil coolers (NEW) $100 Shipped

Here's link to my FS thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20

I bought these to aid in airflow across my tranny/oil coolers - but due to the way I mounted my coolers, I don't need them - cooling is fine

-Jay-

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 05-11-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Everyone swears by that 'dope style' cooler install? From what I can tell - it's due to the 'ease' of install, because it sure isn't very efficient.

I custom mounted both my Tranny Cooler and Oil Cooler inside the front fascia directly behind the bottom openings in the fascia. Both coolers get DIRECT cool air flow ducted straight thru the openings - thru the cooler fins - then exit out. These areas are not soaking up any appreciable amount of underhood engine heat either.

Never did see how mounting a cooler parallel to the ground and 90 degrees to the oncoming airflow (air basically just skates across the cooler as Jimmyblue stated) is a efficient way of mounting these. If it was, why are radiators mounted 90 degrees to the ground instead of parallel with it? Sure, the way I did it requires fabbing some custom brackets to mount the coolers and attach to existing bolt down locations - but the easy route is not always the best...

My tranny temps rarely go above 150 deg with 3600stall/2.5str verter, Rock-On Tranny, and 3.73 gearing - whether it be in town, highway driving - taking it easy - or getting on it.

Oil temps don't normally go any higher than 200 deg and since the oil is being cooled - the water temps are down across the board also.

-Jay-

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 05-11-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the "dope style" has the plastic above it removed then
there is at least the convection airflow going for it. The
air wants to rise up through it as it's heated, a chimney.
Another benefit is, not just shedding heat onto the rest
(condenser, radiator) of the stack and warming up / blocking
their air. A fan above the "dope style" would be not-bad.
I wouldn't expect the "dope style" to do very well at
cooling while sitting, without any fan. Maybe some, but
not up to its potential.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

'Another benefit is, not just shedding heat onto the rest
(condenser, radiator) of the stack and warming up / blocking
their air.'

Exactly why I chose the areas to mount my coolers that I did. I have the FTRA - it already blocks a good portion of the rad/condenser combo cutting down on my cooling capacity - didn't want to hinder it any more by further blocking airflow and 'pre-heating' the air that was going to the rad by flowing thru the coolers first.

I'll be replacing my FTRA with a Volant and ducted flow directly thru my de-baffled nostrils in the very near future so that should only help in cooling.