Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF am I doing wrong?

I have a LS1/4l60E on the ground and Im trying to seperate the tranny and motor and I have taken out all 8 bell housing bolts, free'd the dipstick and the damn thing will not seperate! I didnt undo the converter bolts because I was going to do that after I got the tranny off. I have even lifted the motor off the ground to see all the way around the bellhousing and ALL the bolts are out. Only thing I can think of is the dowls are frozen to the tranny but that is unlikely.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Resident

Here's a link someone else gave me, maybe it'll help you out alittle.

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall

Good luck
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

sometimes the bellhousing corodes onto the dowel pins. the first time i took my 4l60 out it pulled one of them out and it stayed in the transmission. when doing a converter install on someones car we had the same problem. ended up heating the bellhousing (around dowel pin holes) and it finally broke free.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah finally got it off there. The dowels were indeed frozen to the tranny. The casualties? Two craftsman flat heads

I tried heat and it wouldnt work. I used brute force as a last alternative on all that aluminum but other than the screwdrivers it wasnt so bad, just a couple very minor scars on the bellhousing faces.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lason
yeah finally got it off there. The dowels were indeed frozen to the tranny. The casualties? Two craftsman flat heads

I tried heat and it wouldnt work. I used brute force as a last alternative on all that aluminum but other than the screwdrivers it wasnt so bad, just a couple very minor scars on the bellhousing faces.

But, you removed the converter bolts first right?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Drew778
But, you removed the converter bolts first right?

I wasnt planning on it at first but ended up doing it before it was said and done so yeah, I sepereated the motor/tranny with the converter still in the tranny.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should always keep the converter with the tranny
Old 05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
You should always keep the converter with the tranny
yea, yanking on the tranny with the converter still seated and bolted to the flexplate is a big NO-NO. I'm surprised you didnt do any damage to either. you gotta unbolt the converter to pull the tranny away!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
yea, yanking on the tranny with the converter still seated and bolted to the flexplate is a big NO-NO. I'm surprised you didnt do any damage to either. you gotta unbolt the converter to pull the tranny away!
Why? I have done this for years on SBC's. ESPECIALLY when the motor and tranny are sitting on the ground outside of a car. I would never attempt to install a tranny with the converter bolted up to the flywheel but there is no harm in removing it, all it will do (if the damn dowl pins arent frozen) is slide the converter off the tranny's input shaft.

I can see maybe damaging the input shaft or converter if it was hanging in the air under a car and the tranny dropped and shoved the input shaft **** eyed but it was on the ground.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
I've never heard of pulling a tranny without unbolting the converter ... didn't know it could even be done.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I've never heard of pulling a tranny without unbolting the converter ... didn't know it could even be done.
well, thats what i was wondering, considering you have to rotate the converter down into 3 channels to fully seat the converter onto the input shaft. i'ce always had to turn the converter counterclockwise while pulling out to get the converter off
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My converter came straight out. I didn't have to turn it?

I'd rather unbolt the torque converter bolts first. Just get them through the access cover by the starter.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having this problem right now, only my Engine/Trans are still in the car. I'm going to try a wedge today and hope it'll get some seperation between the two. Grr...
Originally Posted by Lason
I have a LS1/4l60E on the ground and Im trying to seperate the tranny and motor and I have taken out all 8 bell housing bolts, free'd the dipstick and the damn thing will not seperate! I didnt undo the converter bolts because I was going to do that after I got the tranny off. I have even lifted the motor off the ground to see all the way around the bellhousing and ALL the bolts are out. Only thing I can think of is the dowls are frozen to the tranny but that is unlikely.