Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of how hard the clutch hits...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of how hard the clutch hits...

So my lockup clutch hits pretty hard with this setup, and its getting really annoying during driving conditions where its lock/unlock/lock/unlock and constantly shocking me and my drivetrain (especially driving in 3rd gear).

Is there anyway to soften it back up like it was stock? I realize I have a beefy tranny with a shift kit and an aftermarket converter but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There's no question that that Transgo kit makes for some firm lock-up events. But you can tune it to lock/unlock at lighter throttle settings and less often. I tuned out 3rd gear lock-up altogether. But the Transgo eliminates PWM so I don't think you'll be able to get the stock feel back unless you go back to the stock TCC valve.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

the PCM neeeds to be tuned to have teh converter stay locked under low TPS or raise the lockup point to a higher mph so that it's not going to have to lock/unlock/lock every few secs because of constant change in speed.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Well guys the problem is that it unlocks with use of the brakes, then locks back up as soon as you let off. The shock is more pronounced with less throttle, not more, and especially if you are off the throttle completely and coasting when it locks.

If one were to install a stock style valve, what kinds of drawbacks are there? PWM doesn't sound like such a bad thing if it smooths out the lockup.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Pontiacerator

One solution that has been proposed is to tune lock-up out at 0% throttle, but then it would unlock every time you let off the gas and relock when you applied it - which would probably be equally unpleasant. As far restoring the stock TCC valve, the downside to PWM is that the pulsating lock-up can mess with some aftermarket TC clutches. But with the Yank SS, I don't think it would be a problem. Yank doesn't even recommend the use of the shift kit. You could call them and discuss it.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

You should be able to have the tune allow for TCC engagement at low TPS. I have mine set to where it will stay locked under light throttle or if I'm coasting not on the gas. I like to have it unlock when the brakes come on.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by buffman
You should be able to have the tune allow for TCC engagement at low TPS. I have mine set to where it will stay locked under light throttle or if I'm coasting not on the gas. I like to have it unlock when the brakes come on.
That's how it acts with stock settings. My car is untuned.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

I decided to try disabling TCC lockup at 0% throttle as recommended. I think that's my main annoyance right now. I'll see how I like it.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Let us know how it works out ...
Old 05-21-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
One solution that has been proposed is to tune lock-up out at 0% throttle, but then it would unlock every time you let off the gas and relock when you applied it - which would probably be equally unpleasant. As far restoring the stock TCC valve, the downside to PWM is that the pulsating lock-up can mess with some aftermarket TC clutches. But with the Yank SS, I don't think it would be a problem. Yank doesn't even recommend the use of the shift kit. You could call them and discuss it.
I read your post again and I think I missed this the first time...

What I don't want it doing is after I touch the brakes and it unlocks, to lock up again when I let off the brake, before I touch the gas again. This shocks the driveline and its really unpleasant. Imagine this happening on/off/on/off in certain parts of town in traffic...

So you are saying that if its tuned to not lock when at 0% throttle, it won't do that anymore, and rather stay unlocked until the gas is pressed again (good), however at the same time it will also unlock when just letting off the gas? I wonder if you can tune it to only unlock when you touch the brake pedal? It does this stock but i'd like it to stay unlocked until the gas is pressed again. I'll have to talk with my tuner.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Yes, I would think so ... 0% throttle in both cases. I know exactly what you're trying to get rid of because I have the same thing and I was looking for solutions. Jimmyblue or somebody proposed that and it sounded good until I realized just what you're saying - that it would unlock every time you let off the throttle. Here is how I get around the problem in certain situations (like at freeway speeds when it's a real jolt): I hold the brake lightly with my left foot and then give it a little throttle as I let off the brake. It minimizes the hit.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Now that I think about it, my 99 Grand Prix would drop to idle every time I let off the gas. It made the car coast real damn good so I don't see that as being a bad thing - the problem is how hard it locks up with this kit which is of course completely un-noticeable on the stock Grand Prix.

Can't have the best of both worlds it seems. Unless I can find otherwise.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

thats just part of it man, mine is the same way but i don't drive my car much. my 1-2 shift sounds like something is breaking. just get used to it.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I read your post again and I think I missed this the first time...

What I don't want it doing is after I touch the brakes and it unlocks, to lock up again when I let off the brake, before I touch the gas again. This shocks the driveline and its really unpleasant. Imagine this happening on/off/on/off in certain parts of town in traffic...

So you are saying that if its tuned to not lock when at 0% throttle, it won't do that anymore, and rather stay unlocked until the gas is pressed again (good), however at the same time it will also unlock when just letting off the gas? I wonder if you can tune it to only unlock when you touch the brake pedal? It does this stock but i'd like it to stay unlocked until the gas is pressed again. I'll have to talk with my tuner.
Yep, same problem here. It locks nice and smooth, but yeah when it's locked and has to re-lock after hitting the brakes it's pretty harsh. I just try my best while driving at highway speeds just to flow with traffic and watch ahead and leave room between me and other cars and get outta the throttle early and when slowing down to exit or stop I just keep my foot on the breaks very lightly the whole time, but those are just temporary things I do untill I can get it tuned.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Not to get off subject but when you guys are on the highway doing around 50 and go wot, does it feel like the car downshifts twice? Im assuming its the converter unlocking and then the car actually downshifting. I wasnt sure if this was normal or not

As far as cruising, if im right around 30 - 35 mph, off the gas and brake, just letting the car decel on its own I get like a kick in the butt, feels like when a manual trans bucks, then once it goes beyond that point it slows down like normal. Im assuming this is the converter also and not the trans itself.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Pontiacerator

I'm assuming the answers are yes and yes, since you have the Transgo like Blackhawk, AK, and myself. I don't really feel the double unlock/downshift the way you do.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

I do, and it really kills any chance you would have at roll racing. I'm gonna have to see what I can do with tuning in that area also.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, well the car is in the shop now getting its final tune. Im going to go for a ride with the tuner when I go pick it up later. Ill let you guys know if anything changes with the new tune. It really doesnt take a long time to do but youre right blackhawk if you were roll racing it would definately be noticeable So you guys think its the transgo causing that to happen?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Got the car back yesterday and just wanted to let you guys know how I made out. The unlock/downshift doesnt seem to be as bad. I could barely notice it though it is still there a little bit. I was only able to get on it twice due to traffic on the highway but so far Im happy with the outcome.