Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Z28 tranny wont pull out (broke flywheel)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 Z28 tranny wont pull out (broke flywheel)

1st thing... hello to everyone I am Mike Friends call me rocket thanx for taking
the time to read this..

Ok. I have a 2001 Z28 camaro LS1 w/ a 4L60E tranny everything stll stock.
It would not start I waited a bit and it started, got it home and nothing. I removed the starter and the crown of the starter was broke off the whole crown was inside the tranny under the flywheel. I was pissed any way I inspected the flywheel and it is broke in half! if anyone wants a pic let me know, I got a new starter and flywheel I am dropping the tranny to change the flywheel out cause I thought it would be alot easier to get to then yanking the motor. I have followed the HAYNES 93 TO 02 MANUAL to the letter and the tranny will not slide back and out. I removed all connectors, driveshaft, torque arm, tranny crossmember and mount, cat converter, heatshield, dip stick, 6bell housing bolts
4 flywheel to t-converter bolts, oil lines it wont let go. I have been at this for 4 days and it is killin me any help would be greatly welcomed

thanx
Old 06-04-2006, 06:37 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to go back over the bell housing bolts again. You said that you removed six. There are more than six trust me. The one that most guys miss is the 12 oclock bolt hole.Good luck, Vince.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that there were 7 or 8 bolts. That and the dowel pins tend to corrode and lock into the block. Once you are sure the bolta are all out, then rock the tranny back and fourth with a buddy till it brakes loose.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Smile going to try it now

thank you guys for the reply I am going out to try now as soon as I am done I will post back

Rocket
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Resident

Just put mine back in... there are 8 bolts.

You probibly missed the 12 o'clock and 11 o'clock bolts. To get at them you will need to lower the back end of the tranny (letting the engine/tranny to sag on the motor mounts).

Then get alot of extensions (I used 36" worth of 3/8's extensions). Lay under the car with your feet faceing forward and your head basicly next to the tranny tailshaft, looking forward you should just be able to see the top 2 bolts and reach them useing all your extensions.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

There are 8 bolts but u only need 7 when u put in back in.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Okay there are 8 and I am going to write,call whatever to the HAYNES Co. about there book cause it says it says there are 6 bolts and thats it. I am gonna load pics of the flywheel I think I took one of the starter. thank you guyz!!!!!!!! I will post back when I am done

Rocket
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

yeah haynes is good for some things..there are only 6 though on the th350.. i dont know how you are coming along with the install but i find it easier to take the intake manifold off to get to the top two bolts....or top 3 for the 4l60e
Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Default ok the tranny is out

Ok the tranny is out now I have another problem the rear main oil seal housing is cracked at the top driver side bolt. The top 2 bolts on the housing for the rear main seal are sheared so half the bolt head is there. well thats another forum... the flywheel had 8 cracks. SoI got my work cut out for me I am gonna see what esle there is that I dont wanna find.

rocket