Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont shift at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont shift at WOT

I have new Rock-On 4l60e and a new fuddle converter. they were installed in October and I made 3 clean passes at the track while my car was still untuned from the new cam I had as well. the only issues were i hit my 7300 rpm rev limiter going through the traps at 120 mph with a 4.30 gear and 27" tires. which seemed like way too much slippage to me, especially since the converter was supposed to be extremely efficient, which is the only reason why i have such a low str (4000/1.7). I disregarded the issue thinking that the transand converter were just still too fresh.

the car sits over the winter, I have it dynotuned, change the oil, and swich to 28in ET radials. the first time i had a chance to get back to the track was 2 weeks ago. the car bangs the limiter hard on both 1-2 and 2-3 on 3 passes with decent traction. i scrap the night because i didnt have my laptop with me. I have since lowered the shift rpms to 6000rpm and the shift mph is 30mph for 1-2 and 60mph for 2-3. the car should be at that mph before it sees 6000rpm and then has a 1300rpm window to complete a shift (rev limiter still at 7300). the car still wont shift at wot. it seems like its pulling to around 6400-6500 and then just slips like a rocket to the limiter.

sorry for the long post but i just wanted to be thorough. so whats to blame for my problems? is it something in the tune that i'm missing? could it be the converter? please dont tell me its the trans already, which btw only has around 1500miles, 6 passes, and 3 dyno pulls

thanks for any help at all,
Steve
Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe the shift solenoids are sticking?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might seem trivial, but is your fluid level where it should be? My car banged the limiter on every shift after the TC install and fluid looked fine. Added half a quart of fluid for kicks and it magically started shifting fine.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Perfect Z28, are the noids pretty routine to pull and check? I've never really paid attention when the pan has been down to see how accessable they are.

jmm, yes the fluid is full, I forgot to mention that. are you saying that your tranny was down a half quart and then you added to fix the problem? or was it full and you added an extra half quart and it fixed it?

thanks for the replies guys,
Steve
Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

PM sent
Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Fuel
are you saying that your tranny was down a half quart and then you added to fix the problem? or was it full and you added an extra half quart and it fixed it?
My dipstick showed the fluid level was good. It was shifting fine/running perfectly under part throttle but hit the rev limiter on every WOT shift. After no success tweaking my tune I added more tranny fluid (.50-.75 quart) and it quit hitting the rev limiter after that.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Perfect Z28, are the noids pretty routine to pull and check? I've never really paid attention when the pan has been down to see

When you drop the pan you'll see them towards the back, I believe that they're on held on by a c-clip and they snap off. I repalced mine not too long ago and they cost me around $20 each from the dealership.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

I have new Rock-On 4l60e and a new fuddle converter. they were installed in October and I made 3 clean passes at the track while my car was still untuned from the new cam I had as well. the only issues were i hit my 7300 rpm rev limiter going through the traps at 120 mph with a 4.30 gear and 27" tires. which seemed like way too much slippage to me, especially since the converter was supposed to be extremely efficient, which is the only reason why i have such a low str (4000/1.7). I disregarded the issue thinking that the transand converter were just still too fresh.

the car sits over the winter, I have it dynotuned, change the oil, and swich to 28in ET radials. the first time i had a chance to get back to the track was 2 weeks ago. the car bangs the limiter hard on both 1-2 and 2-3 on 3 passes with decent traction. i scrap the night because i didnt have my laptop with me. I have since lowered the shift rpms to 6000rpm and the shift mph is 30mph for 1-2 and 60mph for 2-3. the car should be at that mph before it sees 6000rpm and then has a 1300rpm window to complete a shift (rev limiter still at 7300). the car still wont shift at wot. it seems like its pulling to around 6400-6500 and then just slips like a rocket to the limiter.

sorry for the long post but i just wanted to be thorough. so whats to blame for my problems? is it something in the tune that i'm missing? could it be the converter? please dont tell me its the trans already, which btw only has around 1500miles, 6 passes, and 3 dyno pulls

thanks for any help at all,
Steve
What power level are you at? Do you have a way to log data?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem & the bands & clutches were toast..Car shifted fine normally but at WOT it would bang the limiter.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevPower
What power level are you at? Do you have a way to log data?
391 rwhp through the sloppy converter and big gears. yes, I have hptuners
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan
I had this problem & the bands & clutches were toast..Car shifted fine normally but at WOT it would bang the limiter.
oh yeah, i know all about that. when I blew the stock trans, i even burned up the reverse drum . the second trans, which was locally built, blew while trying to set shift points, like this one is giving me trouble now.