Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hughes 4l60e rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hughes 4l60e rebuild kit?

does anyone have any experience with the hughes "race" 4l60e rebuild kit? i found it in summit, part no. HUP-HP3789K. is this a good alternative to the $2k trannys that our sponsors offer?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a good question. You're comparing a rebuild kit to a completely built transmission.
If you can rebuild this transmission yourself I'd suggest buying from a sponsor here. These guys will help you sometimes if you don't buy from them, that tells me they're not just here to make money they actually help, plus they are more in touch with the problems that need to be addressed with the f-body 4L60E's.
I haven't heard much about Hughes customer service, I do talk to one of their builders sometimes on another site. Basically the guys here seem to be more specific to our cars and what they need, you're not going to get that from summit.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

i'm aware that i'm comparing a kit to an entire transmission, but the same goal is in mind: replacing my brokeass stock tranny with a stronger one. i'd like to hear back from some folks (if any) that have used this rebuild kit and whether or not they recommend it, etc. i don't recall reading anything about customer service in my first post...
Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by s346k
i'm aware that i'm comparing a kit to an entire transmission, but the same goal is in mind: replacing my brokeass stock tranny with a stronger one. i'd like to hear back from some folks (if any) that have used this rebuild kit and whether or not they recommend it, etc. i don't recall reading anything about customer service in my first post...
You seem like a smart *** *****. I'm just trying to give advice whether you ask for it or not there are other things you need to know.
If you've ever rebuilt a transmission you're going to find out there is not much difference in the parts between brands of kits. There are a TON of 4L60E SPECIFIC issues that need to be addressed and you're not going to get any of that from summit or hughes you WILL get it from the sponsors here.
I don't remember reading that I never used one of their kits.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 06-18-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
You seem like a smart *** *****. I'm just trying to give advice whether you ask for it or not there are other things you need to know.

I don't remember reading that I never used one of their kits.
at least you're being honest with the opening statement, i can appreciate that. so just to clarify: you have in fact used this rebuild kit? if so, why haven't you provided me with any relevant information? so far nothing you've told me has had anything to do with the hughes kit.

i appreciate you "giving me advice"...but if it doesn't pertain to the topic, why post? i know that ls1tech sponsors will have more insight to ls1-specific drivetrain parts, but that doesn't mean this kit is junk. it might be, but i don't know...so i ask about it.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have used that kit before and its a nice kit and everything but just remember your tranny is only as strong as its weakest point and you will need some other mods as well to beef it up a bit.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

It's quality but way over priced. Don't need a band with kevlar lining. Can buy a kit that will perform just as well for half the cost. Every kit, hughes, tci, B&M use the same rubber and paper kit, same brand bushings, same brand bearings and washers. It's all in the clutch and band material, they usually use same brand clutches and bands. That hughes kit is over priced for what it is. But it works well minus the band.

Or I can simply follow your rules.....
does anyone have any experience with the hughes "race" 4l60e rebuild kit?
Yes I do.
i found it in summit, part no. HUP-HP3789K. is this a good alternative to the $2k trannys that our sponsors offer?
Depends on how it's built and what other modifications are done and the intended use.

Quick Reply: hughes 4l60e rebuild kit?