Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Now!!!!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Now!!!!

Alright just got done installing a TCI 3500 stall, trans go shift kit, and pacesetter headers on my buddies 98 Z28. Started up fine, then went to move it and about 10 sec. into driving i start to hear this bad clank sound. Almost like somthing is hitting somthing under the car.

Does it only when the car is rolling, doesn't matter if the car is on or off, and the noise speeds up the faster we go.

I got under the car and makes it when i spin the driveshaft with my hands, sounds like the sound is almost coming from inside teh driveshaft.

I then tried pulling the u-joint bolts out and re torqing them down just to check to see if that did it. Made the sound a little when i was doing the final tq. on them.

Lowred the car back down, started her up, started to go for another test drive and made it about 20 sec. this time and there the sound started again.

I'm at a total lost right now and really hoping one of you guys can help me out

Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put that cross member back on that holds the y-pipe up? that helps tighten things up. The y-pipe is probably really loose.

My y-pipe bangs my floor board every now and then. But I wedged a rag on top of one of the u shaped exhaust clamps so it won't come out. Doesn't bang anymore.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Banned

Default well

it seems to be a repetitive noise coming from the driveshaft. Thanks for the response
Old 06-23-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NISSANBOY
it seems to be a repetitive noise coming from the driveshaft. Thanks for the response
Thats what I mean. The y-pipe connects to the i-pipe right by the driveshaft. If the engine is causing the y-pipe/i-pipe to move around then maybe its reaching up and touching the driveshaft.

Get the car on jack stands. Slider under there with a creeper. Put it in neutral and turn it. Use a flashlight and see what it is hitting.

My y-pipe banged pretty bad but with the revs of the engine. Got under there and tightend some stuff up with a rubber mallet and it didn't back so bad. Definitely sounded bad though.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Banned

Default hmm

i dont think its that, ive got a good 5 inches of clearance between the two. when im turning hte driveshaft by hand, every 5mm or so of rotation, it clicks. Its not a normal clicking either, it almost sounds like a really big ratchet or something of the sort. Thanks again for the reply
Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NISSANBOY
i dont think its that, ive got a good 5 inches of clearance between the two. when im turning hte driveshaft by hand, every 5mm or so of rotation, it clicks. Its not a normal clicking either, it almost sounds like a really big ratchet or something of the sort. Thanks again for the reply
Check where the yoke goes into the tranny. Make sure its in there rightt.

Also did the TC seat three times? I'm sure it did if the tranny lined up. Did you put tranny fluid in the TC before installing it?

Did you guys take the driveshaft completely out of the car? I hope none of those needle bearings fell out of the universal joint. That might be something to check.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The first thing I thought of was:

Would you let someone who drove a car like "that" work on YOUR car!? ?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look for the I-pipe bumping up against the rear
driveshaft yoke. They come pretty close and if
the clank gets worse with a little brake-dive, it's
a very likely thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Now!!!!