Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E question

My friend has a 90-something blazer, and it has the 4L60E trans in it. he has 108K miles on it and apparently, he has had some problems with it recently. i dont know what is going on for sure (slippage, or not shifting, or what. i will find out more tomorrow), but a shop told him that the valve body is warn out. hes got a few options, and im wondering what might be better (long run and money wise)

1. Get a whole new (rebuilt) trans, with a good valve body. the price is about $1000 from a local shop (dont know if its a decent shop or not)

2. Get just the valve body for around $300

3. get a shift kit?? would a transo kit help if it is just the valve body? i know mine helped out a lot, but i only had 3K miles on my goat when i put it in. this would save him a lot of money, and would be the easiest (since we could install it on base)

now, assuming it is just the valve body, he could get away with 2 or maybe 3, but with 108K miles, would that be a smart idea? the bands or clutches could be bad already, which would require a new trans anyways.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the fluid level first. Mine developed a small leak and over time got low enought to throw a code, don't remember exactly which one. But it indicated a bad valve body or??? Did what they said on the forum and found low fluid level, fixed the leak and refilled to proper level and wallah, ran great. It had been slipping and downshifting a lot prior to throwing the code. Good luck.