Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after Transgo kit....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems after Transgo kit....HELP!!!

OK, i have an 02 SS A4. Had a shop put in a Transgo kit, supposedly he used the 3 washers for full race. My Car used to shift at 6200rpms between each gear rather firmly. Now first gear shifts at only 5700/5800 and then the 2ndto3rd hits the rev limiter (at least thats what it feels like) at like 6400 and takes a second or two to shift. WTF? Ok, then i had my new mail order tune from Wait4MePerformance and it did the exact same thing. So a stock tune and then a mail order tune....the tranny still shifts when it wants to as mentioned above? I have a brand new Yank SS3600 stall sitting on the shelf waiting to be put in...the tech said that transgo recommends that if you go the full 3 washers (race only) that you must run a high stall??? please help, it would be really appreciated right now. THANKS

Last edited by HD1911; 06-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

bump.......
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know man. Sounds a little funky. I'd probably take one washer out to see if that helped. Other than that, I don't know of anything that would cause that.

*When you install that stall in there, you will probably throw a p1870 code that you will have to set to the last setting with HPTuners or equivalent tuning software. This f'ed me up for a while until I came here and used the search button. Went to my tuner and told him to put it on the last setting and didn't have a problem after that. The symptom is it feels like your car is stuck in third, and is. Sometimes if you baby it it will act fine, sometimes you go into third and it doesn't want to come out of it.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

bump..
Old 07-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

Kinda tired of hearing about these god damned washers. All they do is make 1-2 shift more firm. Thats it period, they do nothing else, NOTHING ELSE.
It shifts sooner 1-2 because the accumulator travels less and it probably applies faster because of the 2nd hole size used.
2-3 it screwed up because the hole size in the seperator plate it too big.

Got any record of the hole sizes?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

ok, the tranny guy is telling me that since Transgo recommends a high stall when doing 3 washers....that is what he is blaming it on. He says that since the high stall is not in there yet that is why it is doing it. I hate first gear shifting at 5700 and then second bouncing off the rev limiter (around 6400) for a moment, then shifting. No i dont have a record of the hole sizes but i am gonna sure as hell ask him monday morning. i am kinda pissed that i spent 300 bucks for him to put that in and it came out like that. now i am spending more money for him to throw the converter in and hoping that mysteriously fixes things. I mean, how am i supposed to tell a "supposed tranny expert" that what he did was wrong and that i know the fix? i appreciate ur help once again guys
Old 07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

The washers shouldn't have anything to do with the 2-3 shift problems. My guess is that the tranny is failing. My tranny started to go not long after I installed the TransGo kit. I wouldn't blame TransGo because the 4L60E is weak to begin with, but I wouldn't put another shift kit on one of these trannys. They just seem to be too hit or miss.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

Well I took a 28,000 mile 4L60E and put a transgo kit in it and it was fine. Then a very good trans builder on this site recommended (and uses in all his builds) huge feed hole sizes. My shifts turned to **** after drilling the feed holes bigger, especially 2-3. If that was the end of the story guess what....the 'shift kit' would have burned my transmission up. On a side note it wasn't the shift kit it was the wrong size feed holes, thats why I say take it out and correct the problem. I took my whole trans apart before and after the kit and the 3-4 clutches were fine before, not even 60 miles with the incorrect feed hole sizes and the 3-4 was showing signs of running very hot (on it's way out).
I'm not a professional transmission builder but I do it as a hobby and I write down all the specifics of each transmission I do, so your guy should have the specs on yours. Sad part is he probably didn't write them down and can just as easy make some up just to keep you quiet.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

damn, so how would i go about getting this problem solved? i am at a loss for words or thoughts over this right now. I dont think he would go back into the tranny when he doesnt think there is anything wrong in the first place. And you know he would not like it if i second guesses him and his work...but i will ask tomorrow about the hole sizes and maybe find something out. Thanks fellas
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i destroyed 4 trannys in a row each lasting about 300 miles each because of the transgo. point is get a b&m trans pack,the fact that most holes u drill in the plate state drill.83 for street or .93 for highstall, well if u mess up in one whole ur tranny is garbage. i have right now a new tranny with firms raised by the ecm and for a strret car is good for street and strip get the b&m transgo unless a pro does it and knows his **** say buh bye to ur tranny
Old 07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Yea B&M ...install it, thats it.
Transgo has options which require decisions, decisions based either on experience or persistance. You can do a whole lot with a transgo if you take the time. time to learn about what does what and take it apart to make changes. It's not a kit for the lazy. It's a kit for those who take the time to get the shifts precisly how they want them.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

like pro's
Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??

i have over 10k miles and 200+ passes on my 4k stall, stock 4l60e tranny, and transgo "full race/high stall" shift kit. the tranny had 46k on it when i installed the shift kit, and 48k on it when i installed the converter. no problems here yet...excellent shift kit, IMHO. i also had tqm removed and the shift points adjusted shortly after the converter installation.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
??

i have over 10k miles and 200+ passes on my 4k stall, stock 4l60e tranny, and transgo "full race/high stall" shift kit. the tranny had 46k on it when i installed the shift kit, and 48k on it when i installed the converter. no problems here yet...excellent shift kit, IMHO. i also had tqm removed and the shift points adjusted shortly after the converter installation.

hey bud, what did it feel like for those 2k miles without the stall?? the tech thinks that putting in the stall tomorrow will cure my tranny woes. oh, and by the way, what part of Indiana are you from... I am from Evansville
Old 07-02-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car shifted insanely hard 1-2, anything above 1,500 rpm would chirp the tires, and 2-3 would chirp @ WOT. now even with the stall it will chirp 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 (on drag radials...street tires just scratch). the only negative effect i've had from this shift kit thus far is ripping my stock tranny mount. i replaced it with a poly mount ~5k ago, and have had no problems except slight vibration.

i live in martinsville. i grew up in princeton and my sis and her family live in evansville, also.

Quick Reply: Problems after Transgo kit....HELP!!!