Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain slippage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain slippage

If I am having slippage in my drivetrain, how do I determine whether it’s the torque converter or the transmission? I’ve got a 3600 stall (non-lock-up) and a reverse pattern manual valve body TH400 transmission. There is a good chance one of them is slipping too much under WOT.

I also have a transbrake, and have tested the converter several times while the transbrake is on. It stalled at 3800 rpm every time (alittle higher than advertised, but I’m not complaining). This tells me its not likely the converter. Is this right?

How do I know which one is slipping?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 04:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

converter will generally slip more in high gear than say 1st. How much slippage you getting? Maybe your converter is not very efficient
Old 07-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for the response. Well, I think I know now which one. Looks like the transmission. But I'm not ruling out that the converter yet either.

See the picture below. I just took this pic 30 minutes ago. I pulled the pan off and it looks like alot of sludge on the bottom along with some metal shavings. Is this normal?

I'm no transmission expert but this does not look good.

Keep in mind this transmission is new (or rebuilt) and has less than 200 miles and maybe a few dyno runs and a few spirited runs, but nothing major in terms of abuse or mileage.

Take a look:

http://i5.tinypic.com/16c76gw.jpg

Any comments welcome...
Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By what I can tell from the picture it looks like alot fine metal. That is usually a sign of a convertor coming apart or something in the trans. Worst part is the both really need to come apart if that is metal I'm seeing. Good luck,Vince.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
By what I can tell from the picture it looks like alot fine metal. That is usually a sign of a convertor coming apart or something in the trans. Worst part is the both really need to come apart if that is metal I'm seeing. Good luck,Vince.
Thanks for the input!!!