Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI 3800 competition converter ???'s Is this a 3800 or not???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI 3800 competition converter ???'s Is this a 3800 or not???

I've had this converter for some time now and have only recently taken it out for some quarter mile blasts. What I noticed is that the actual stall seems to be much lower than 3800. I clearly understand the difference between a foot stall and flash stall. It does not seem to flash very high and the foot stall goes to about 2200 before spinning the tires. Does this sound right??? My 60 foots on 26 tall et streets were 1.77. But, it just seems to not rev out of the hole at all. The car itself is has 5.3 stage II patriots, a tsp 231/231, and a Victor Edelbrock Jr conversion, long tubes, and dumps. My gut feeling is that the manifold has lost alot of low end and I need an even higher stall. But, I'm just any sure whether the stall is even correct on this converter. I don't want to get a 4000+ if this converter if a good 3800 or 3600 will do. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I am spraying the car with a 150 shot of nitrous. Thanks.

Carlos Villalon, Jr.

Last edited by jurisz28; 07-04-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Carlos,
Your 60 foots do seem to be a little slow for a 3800 converter. Do you have the part number for the converter? Is the 1.77 sixty foot on motor or on spray? I'll be glad to work with you and get the converter fine-tuned for your application.
Kevin
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
Carlos,
Your 60 foots do seem to be a little slow for a 3800 converter. Do you have the part number for the converter? Is the 1.77 sixty foot on motor or on spray? I'll be glad to work with you and get the converter fine-tuned for your application.
Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks. I don't have the documentation on it anymore. I do remember the invoice saying it was a 3800 Competition Converter. I was actually surprised because I thought I would be getting the SS. It was ordered from TSP, but drop shipped directly from TCI. As for the sixty foot, that is on spray. For awhile there, I thought it might be because of a rich condition. But, we tuned on it yesterday and it doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Are you sure you're not spinning (you may not feel it)? What tires are you running? That converter hits hard especially on spray. I was pulling 1.5's on a stock internal motor with the same converter so I would say something isn't right and I bet it's suspension/tire related.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAIN
Are you sure you're not spinning (you may not feel it)? What tires are you running? That converter hits hard especially on spray. I was pulling 1.5's on a stock internal motor with the same converter so I would say something isn't right and I bet it's suspension/tire related.
The suspension and tire combos are not very good at all. I have Hotchkis springs and KYB's all the way around with no front sway bar, BMR lower control arms, subframes, and a spohn tunnel mount torque arm. The tires are MT ET Streets 17's. Although the weight shift is not very good and the tires have a short sidewall, they do not break loose. I have my brother who has his own low 10 second ls1 driving the car and I watch for the wheel spin. The only obvious problem is an early 1-2 shift which occurs after the 60 foot. Here is the video of the most recent run http://video.ls1tech.com/video/7fd67...7bc3417b70.htm
Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Holy crap!!! Put this thread on hold. After reviewing the video, it seems like the shift is far ahead of the 60 foot. Take a look and the video and give me your thoughts. I just changed the shift points yesterday for the 1-2, so I'll try this again on Friday to see what the change is. There may not be a problem at all.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

I can't really see the tires, but it does sound like the shift is way early. It "sounds" like the car is reving high and shifting early which seems to me like it's spinning even though you can't hear it. Spinning = Higher rpm faster to your set shiftpoint = shifting early.
I think the tires are the problem. They don't have enought sidewall or the grip for a hard hit from a 2.6 str, h&C, 150 shot. See if you can borrow a set of 15" slicks (preferably 28") and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by BAIN; 07-05-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Actually, there was a problem with the shift points on the car which is why it was shifting way too early. The mph for the gear change was way too low. It was also doing that with the 2-3 shift on previous runs that evening and so we just shifted the 2-3 manually on that run. The car really needs to be shifting about 6600 and on that pass it was about 5900. I was next to the car, not shooting the video and the tires were hooking. Quite honestly, after reviewing the video, the shift into 2nd, especially at that rpm, is killing the 60 foot time. I agree that some the car will definately benefit with a 15 inch wheel/tire. I think the best 60 ft time possible might be a 1.60 with those 17's (if that at all), Man, I wish I had your 60 ft times!!!