Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation After Tranny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detonation After Tranny Swap

After I swapped the 6-Speed my car ran fine for a short time but then it fouled or burned a set of spark plugs and began to detonate or "ping". I put a new set in and pulled some timing and it did the same thing. The knock sensors are working and it is not running lean but on the rich side. Why is it detonating or why is the computer advancing the spark so much? Is there anything with the wiring that goes from the computer to the coil to the spark plugs? Does something need to be grounded or a circuit closed? Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post up in the Manual Transmission and the General Help forums. Maybe someone over there will be able to help.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you swap your harness too?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigJoeBob1
After I swapped the 6-Speed my car ran fine for a short time but then it fouled or burned a set of spark plugs and began to detonate or "ping". I put a new set in and pulled some timing and it did the same thing. The knock sensors are working and it is not running lean but on the rich side. Why is it detonating or why is the computer advancing the spark so much? Is there anything with the wiring that goes from the computer to the coil to the spark plugs? Does something need to be grounded or a circuit closed? Any ideas?

Thanks
Are you sure its not getting false knock? Did you use a polyurethane mount for the tranny? I've heard those can cause false knock and set off your knock sensors. just my .02
Old 07-11-2006, 08:29 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 408WS6
Are you sure its not getting false knock? Did you use a polyurethane mount for the tranny? I've heard those can cause false knock and set off your knock sensors. just my .02
some guys remove the metal plate for pinion correction and vibration. maybe it might help with false knock too?

you got a cam in the car? could be the converter too tight for the combo.
like flooring the car down low in 5th gear or something with a 6spd. loads the motor and causes detonation.
good luck.