Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter install..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converter install..

anyone done a converter install on jackstands in there garage? im on a budget and have money for converter but not labor. i am somewhat mechanically inclined and my father will be assisting just curious what im looking forward to?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it can be done go here.

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 07-15-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man..
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

That site was very helpful and informative but what about if the engine and trans are out of the car?

Can I simply bolt the converter to the flywheel and then mount the trans to it? Having of course marked the keyway so that when I mount the converter it will be in close position of the key way and will only require a slight turn on the tailshaft.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by my69rocks
That site was very helpful and informative but what about if the engine and trans are out of the car?

Can I simply bolt the converter to the flywheel and then mount the trans to it? Having of course marked the keyway so that when I mount the converter it will be in close position of the key way and will only require a slight turn on the tailshaft.
recommended to do it that way..if you are trying to spell disaster!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

the converter needs to be mounted onto the transmission input shaft before it's connected to the flexplate! if nto fully seated you can rish messing up the pump
Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by my69rocks

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

I have done numerous tranny swaps with the car on jackstands. Make sure you have a good selection of tools and alot of patience. A transmission jack comes in handy but I have always used a regular floor jack and never had a problem, its all in the balancing act.
2 guys should handle it no problem.
And don,t ever mount the converter to the flexplate first........never.
Fill converter with at least 1 quart of tranny fluid (I put 2 in a dry converter) and install making sure it is seated all the way in.........let me say that again. Make sure its seated all the way. This can be tricky so double and triple check yourself.
Once you have done this a few times it gets much easier and faster. I installed my TH400 in about an hour.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about doing my TC install, but I may just have a professional do it for about $350. I don't feel like removing my exhaust.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by revtime
I have done numerous tranny swaps with the car on jackstands. Make sure you have a good selection of tools and alot of patience. A transmission jack comes in handy but I have always used a regular floor jack and never had a problem, its all in the balancing act.
2 guys should handle it no problem.
And don,t ever mount the converter to the flexplate first........never.
Fill converter with at least 1 quart of tranny fluid (I put 2 in a dry converter) and install making sure it is seated all the way in.........let me say that again. Make sure its seated all the way. This can be tricky so double and triple check yourself.
Once you have done this a few times it gets much easier and faster. I installed my TH400 in about an hour.

Yes thats true with the turbo 350 and 400 but the 4L60E doesn't have a flywheel cover like the t350 and t400 thats why I was wondering if the converter gets bolted up first. This is my first 4L60E converter install. The engine / trans are out of the car and can be assembled along side it and then installed as it is going into a 69 camaro and doesn't have to come up from the bottom side.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

just be patient with the fly wheel bolts..they are a pita as i came to find out i couldnt get them out so it has to go to a shop...
Old 07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Let's see....
Stock bolts are way longer than the ones you need.
You will need at least 4 feet worth of extensions and some swivels.
Loosen your y pipe connections only, no need to remove them if you don't want to.
It sucks but you save hundreds of bucks.
You get to say that you did it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you guys recommend getting a new flexplate with a new converter?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blind527
Do you guys recommend getting a new flexplate with a new converter?
You don't have to but an SFI flexplate is cheap insurance.
I think I paid 80 bucks for my B&M.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcowart
just be patient with the fly wheel bolts..they are a pita as i came to find out i couldnt get them out so it has to go to a shop...
Are you talking about the TC to flexplate bolts? If so my new converter came with new bolts. Heres what I did. I got 2 of the 3 bolts out and had to grind the last bolt in 1/2. Use a hammer and chisel to spin the bolt loose. A dremel will work very well to do that but it can be done with a die grinder.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

ya i didnt have access to all that fun stuff..i get in trouble for the tools i have now..they take up too much space..and yes i meant they flex plate not the fly wheel..dunno why that came out..
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

I just finished installing my tranny yesterday. Get a really long entension (I think mine was about 36 inches) plus have a 12” on hand just in case. I used the extension to not only get the top bell housing bolts out, but also to get the converter unbolted from the flexplate. Just rotate the engine so that the bolt in the flexplate is exposed near the starter, stick the extension in, and use an air ratchet to unbolt it. It’s a breeze. The bolts on top of the bell housing are alittle more challenging, you gotta unbolt the tranny crossmember down and tilt the engine down and reach up in there with the long extension. I unbolted my shifter and went through the hole where the shifter goes with a long entension to get the top tranny bolts. It wasn’t that bad. I found that using swivels was very awkward and frustrating. The job will feel 10x easier with an air ratchet if you don’t already have one.

Also, when you install the new converter into the tranny, and then the tranny to the engine, make sure there is at least 3/16" gap between the converter and flexplate before you bolt the two together. If there isn't at least 3/16" gap and you cant rotate the converter by hand, something is wrong.

If you don't have all the right tools and not willing to invest in them, the $350 doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Last edited by 11SECDWS6; 07-31-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by revtime
You don't have to but an SFI flexplate is cheap insurance.
I think I paid 80 bucks for my B&M.

TCI also makes one. Well worth the money.