Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone keep breaking extention housings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone keep breaking extention housings?

O.K. I just got back from the dyno and I noticed a small leak coming from the tranny. I figured it was from the overflow after being thrashed all day, but upon closer inspection I found a hairline crack in the extention housing that fluid is just barely seeping out of. I just went through this (except the housing tore off completely last time) and moved the torque arm to the crossmember (BMR) to prevent it from happening again. What in gods name can I do to stop this from happening. I've got some old poly motor mounts installed already with a stock tranny mount. It seems to me like the engine is doing some serious twisting and turning. 377 rwhp by the way!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aluminum or steel driveshaft? Everyone I've seen break on a dyno had a steel driveshaft.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guessed it......steel. I still don't think it should have broke. The crack is forward of the mount. Even if the driveshaft was to go through some crazy gyration the mount should absorb it. Not to mention the slip-yoke. It's absolutely bone dry around the seal (slip-yoke), if the driveshaft moved around enough to crack the housing it would've wiped out the seal too. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Im having the same problem with my tailshaft housing. Ive cracked 3 of them. I have taken my driveshaft to be balanced and still broke the TS housing. I have also used a energy sus poly mount and stock still broke the TS housing.

I called a GM dealership and they told me that they had a problem with the steel driveshafts and vibration.They also told me that they do not have a part listing for the steel DS only aluminum. He said the cars that had the steel ds with problems under warranty they put the aluminum in its place.

Hope this helps and yeah im looking for a aluminum DS asap.

Does this look familiar
Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, that looks familiar! I'm going on my 3rd one now. I too have the poly motor mounts and a relocated torque arm and I still cracked it on the dyno. It's only a hairline crack, but cracked never the less. I must say moving the torque arm did help though. Last time I didn't just crack it, I tore it completely off the tranny housing wiping out the bushing in the rear of the case and subsequently the case itself. Maybe I'll try an aluminum ds. along with a torque strap. Thanks!