Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default transmission slipping

I heard about this, but what is it exactly? Is it something that occurs during the gear changes or when operating in the current gear?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my tranny the other day because of this. It was acting like a manual tranny. Just pretend you only let the clutch half way out, just enough for it to grab a little and at 25mph your rpms are at 4k just to maintain 25mph, give it a little throttle to speed up and redlines. Cant even get up to speed to where it would change grears.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Auto Tranny by the way.

Ok, mine isn't doing this. But, I was trying to figure out why when I was going 25 mph, I hit the gas, and it felt as if I lost a little power (though it was pertty hot out when I experienced this). I was on another board and they suggested possible transmission slipping if the fluid is too hot on a hot day. I then decided to have it flushed (first time was back in 2000 with 14000 miles, now has 23000 miles). The techs said the old fluid was pretty dark (not sure what this means). He did not have any other comments on it, but he said it's possible the fluid aged? Only 9000 miles on old fluid?

BTW, the transmission shifts gears like it should, and when it should. Still chirps in second. I don't know what the symptons are on a slipping transmission, only heard of it. Would a slipping tranny still chirp in 2nd (enough to make the back slip out a little)?

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 07-22-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

I was talking about an auto. Just gave you a senerio with a manual to try to describe how an auto slipping would be like. I have an A4 that was slipping.

Do you have a tune done? Maybe if you boosed your line pressure way high it could still chirp the tires, but is buring up your clutch packs?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I've had the Hypertech PP+ and selected firmer shifts for quite some time. No level for me to select (it's either on or off). Feels much better on.

I thought firmer shifts was supposed to reduce slippage and heat, regardless of method.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Seems that since I did the flush, the transmission sometimes shifts a lil later 1-2 at WOT (5900 vs 5800). What could be wrong? I checked the tranny fluid after driving 10 minutes and it's at the 80* level (transmission fluid is not too hot to touch). Could it be too low? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Today I reset the PCM (pulled the PCM BATT fuse), drove in the city for a little and it shifted normally at partial throttle. I then tried it out on the highway, still shifted to 2nd at 5900 rpm, but shifted to 3rd at 5800. I then got off the highway, tried a backroad with the speed limit at 50mph, floored it at 20-25 mph, and it performed like it should (shifted nice and crisp to 2nd at 5800 rpm). Go figure!

If it continues to shift 2nd gear at 5900, what does that mean? Shift points were left stock. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

What about the fluid level? I drove for a little and at operating temperature for 10 minutes, checked the level, was below the crosshatched area. I'm not sure if that's acceptable since there are two other areas (80* F, WARM, while HOT is in the crosshatched area). Is it possible that the fluid is too low and that's what's causing the later shifts? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Recently checked the tranny fluid. Was a lil low but did not look low enough to affect anything. But I filled it to the correct level anyway. Did not take much to bring it to the proper level, but it ended up solving the late 1-2 shift problem. Since the tranny was shifting late, does that mean it was slipping? I thought in the OBDII cars I would've has a SES light (which I did not have). Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

no that doesnt mean it's slipping. a slipping tranny is described just like thrasher was explaining, you will be in gear, hit the gas, and it wont move. your rpm's will come up as if you were in neutral, and then sometimes it wont go into gear untill you back off the gas, or it will likely bang into gear once you bring up the rpms. 100 rpm difference in your 1-2 shift may mean the difference between how hard you push down on the pedal lol.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
no that doesnt mean it's slipping. a slipping tranny is described just like thrasher was explaining, you will be in gear, hit the gas, and it wont move. your rpm's will come up as if you were in neutral, and then sometimes it wont go into gear untill you back off the gas, or it will likely bang into gear once you bring up the rpms. 100 rpm difference in your 1-2 shift may mean the difference between how hard you push down on the pedal lol.
my car did this for the first time today....could it be possible that the car/tranny was just real hot? it hasnt done it again at least today. should i expect it to keep doing this? also if i were to take it to a tranny shop, how much should i be looking to spend? thanks in advcance
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

t t t