Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum mod or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum mod or not?

Ok, i've been looking at getting a rock-on 4l60 with vaccum mod but my local builder says thats the worst thing i could do. i've talked with the local builder about a dozen times and told him what guys on here tell me and he still swears that its a really bad idea. He builds street and full out race trannies and he's been in business for 25 years. this tranny will go in my daily driven regcab silverado 5.3 bolton. Please give me your opinions. tranny is going fast. thanks

Bryan
Old 07-23-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I had a well known tranny builder tell me the same thing. I dont believe it though.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The guy who installed my shift kit - who is really good and knowledgeable - gave me the same line about the vacuum mod. But then most of the highly respected performance builders - Rock On and FLT to name two - use it, and their trannies are known to be very durable.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Like Rev said, if you ask any of the builders that are sponsors on here they will tell you the opposite. I'm not sure why a guy thats been in business for 25 years with these things would tell you its bad. I believe that is far from the truth.

I have a vacuum modulated 4L60E as well as others on this site and there have never been any vacuum modulated related problems or failures reported.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask the guy how many 4l60es hes built to handle 600+ rwhp in a full weight car that gets daily driven as well.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

I,ve installed several and also run one myself. No issues with the mod.

Mec
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

i have been using the Trans-Go vacuum modulator for years now, on my High Performance units with much success. I prefer it, over the EPC solenoid in the vast majority of cases.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
I,ve installed several and also run one myself. No issues with the mod.

Mec
I've been using one of his vacuum modified transmissions (with a Transgo no-yoyo kit) for at least a year and other than one stupid DTC being thrown (I'm assuming due to a faulty resistor) I haven't had any issues.

Eidt: the DTC is P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/383128-p0748-code-sanity-check.html
Old 07-24-2006, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ouija
I've been using one of his vacuum modified transmissions (with a Transgo no-yoyo kit) for at least a year and other than one stupid DTC being thrown (I'm assuming due to a faulty resistor) I haven't had any issues.

Eidt: the DTC is P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383128
Glad to hear its holding up for ya. We gotta get some people together at the track and beat on our cars for a little while.

Mec
Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

talked to the tranny guy again today after doing some more investigation on the vacuum mod. He says that he has had problems when he used to do them years ago with the hoses leaking, trannies acting up after people change to a bigger cam, something about it leaking in the case, etc. After reading some of the threads im not so sure about the mod because i have read of several people with problems with leaking hoses, the wrong kind of hoses being used by the installer, and higher line pressure due to bigger cams. I've got to have a daily driven vehicle that i can beat the mess out of without having to deal with/worry about a vacuum leak. Is it possible for me to program the computer in a way that will help the tranny last longer or does everyone believe that the vacuum mod is still the way to go. thanks,

Bryan
Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

well of course if a cam alters your vacuum it will alter your line pressure if you run vac-mod, with the whole hose leak thing, you already have plenty vacuum hoses on the motor already, so it cant be impossible to fix a vacuum leak from a hose, i'd count that as a minor problem if it ever occurs...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Lol...i cant believe you are still questioning this. The 2 big dogs on this board..RockOn and FLT use vac mod and you are wondering. Get local yahoo to build you a tranny...save some money...blow 3/4 clutches and then while you are down, you can save money to get a good tranny with the vac mod.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks cable, i am a worry wort. just aint got the money to keep rebuildin trannies
Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Do YOU make over 600 ft lbs, or intend to?
In the Fbody, trans programming can modify anything you want about shifts... I beat the hell out of my fbody (nowhere near 600 ft lbs) with no vac mod, just slightly firmed up pressures and shift timing in the program. It does have internal modifications, including a billet servo and MUCH smaller accumulator, which assist in fim shifts. Modding for future cams and or stall converters is trivial in programming.

IMHO, any trans shop that claims to do performance transmissions for late model vehicles, but does not realize what can be done, or how to do it, with electronic controls needs some reschooling. The 60s are over, Elvis is dead...

If you want to give up on electronic controls, there are LOT of stronger transmissions out there than the 4L60E, which tend to be a LOT less expensive to build and build up.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
thanks cable, i am a worry wort. just aint got the money to keep rebuildin trannies
That’s the number one reason to use the vacuum mod kit.....No one has the money to keep rebuilding trannys.....The Vac. Mod kit delivers faster, heavier, more dependable line pressure than it's electronic counterpart.
Your stock unit has 8-11 external (to the transmission) controllers that have an effect on line pressure...with the Vac kit you have a modulator, pin, and valve...
Let’s say the hose leaks...okay ...so you have max line pressure whats wrong with that?? leak in the internal hose...change the hose and go on down the street..
How many guys do you hear on this or any other board complain of theses kits?? How many have problems?? Maybe an occasional it’s hitting hard.
There are allot of folks out there that have been doing something for 25 years...have been successful at it.....that doesn't mean it's better...your guy is in his comfort zone...and you'll not remove him from there.. We use them because it’s the best system available for what we are doing….I haven’t always thought this way not using them set us back 5 years… Hope this helps..Dave
Old 07-24-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Is it true that a cam will alter the line pressure then since it alters vacuum?

And how do you compensate for it?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
9 Second Club

yeah but when do you have low vacuum...mainly at idle and who cares what line pressure is at a redlight.

I wasnt trying to come down on ya. Read this section and see how many have 2-3 shift problems etc. Most of that is tuning related. Vac mod gets rid of a lot of those variables.
With vac mod you get consistant line pressure rise....quick...and a ported maf...miscalibrated maf table etc wont screw with that. all electronic can be very effective but for builders, how many want to take the chance that you know exactly what you are doing with your tune. I wouldnt. I myself have messed with the line pressure tables and damn near burnt my tranny up going around the block when it was stock. Trust the PROs...vac mod...good quality build and spend your weekends racing or cruising....not pulling out another economy rebuild. Give Dave at RockOn a call...he will shoot you straight.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Typically the cam will not allow as much vacuum to be created therefore your base pressure will be greater than with a higher vacuum pressure.

Here goes… No Vacuum or Low Vacuum = Max line pressure or higher line pressure….Hi vacuum = Low line pressure , it’s a sliding scale as foot travel on the accelerator increases vacuum decreases…thus line pressure increases..

Where we get into trouble is when line pressure doesn’t match (or equal) foot travel. Your foot is in the throttle and your computer (for whatever reason one of those 8 to 11 controllers is acting up or a bad tune) isn’t telling the EPC to increase line pressure. Now your up in the higher hp level, with low pressure…. the clutch doesn’t have enough clamping (line) pressure to hold the hp going through the clutch thus it slips, then burns

So if you were getting 14 lbs of Vac….you were running lets say 70 psi line pressure…now you changed cams and are only getting say 10 lbs of Vac. Well your line pressure increased to say 90 psi…so you’d be starting out with a higher line pressure than before. (These are not actual numbers simply put out there for demonstration)

As these cars and trucks age we are going to see more problems with these electronic systems, and it doesn’t seem to matter weather you’re dealing with 300 hp or 600 hp. The more horse power the more line pressure is needed and this system delivers the goods.
I hope this helps...Dave

Last edited by Rock-On; 07-24-2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

But at what point is too much pressure? If you guys set up a tranny to run within a certain PSI range and a user installed an aftermarket camshaft that increased the pressure quite a bit, would it be bad for the transmission that it is now out of your spec?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
After reading some of the threads im not so sure about the mod because i have read of several people with problems with leaking hoses, the wrong kind of hoses being used by the installer, and higher line pressure due to bigger cams. I've got to have a daily driven vehicle that i can beat the mess out of without having to deal with/worry about a vacuum leak.
How do you think the millions of TH 400's and 350's functioned reliably every day from the 60's through the 80's? Vacuum modulation. How many suffered problems from vacuum leaks? Not many. It's a simple, reliable technology that works.

Quick Reply: vacuum mod or not?