Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to stock TC - impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back to stock TC - impression

Well since it doesn't look like I have a track to go to in the next few years (track closed), I got the stock TC reinstalled. I do alot of stop & go driving. Hopefully my mpg improves significantly. Driveability has improved. I can now idle at 550 rpm without surging/dying when coming to a stop.

The TCI3500 was a great track mod. It dropped my ET by 0.5 sec. Without it I wouldn't have been able to get into the 11s. Most of the track improvements were in the launch, but I was surprised to see that I gained mph in the traps too. The TCI is an excellent choice for the track. For street/strip setups, I'd choose a converter with a larger lock-up clutch based on what I read on this board.

For guys running on the street exclusively, I think running a lowend biased cam, gears, and the stock TC is a worthy option to consider. I really like the crisp throttle feel and the control of the fat torque down low. I can accelerate hard from low rpms at part throttle. Acceleration rate depends on how fast I roll into the throttle. Just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

xcuse me but i need some help with downshifting!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

INtresting decsion.. You could not pay me to go back to a stock TC with a cam
Old 07-28-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The surging/dying coming to a stop or at low speeds could've been fixed easily with a tune - probably by just increasing your in gear idle, my car did the same thing. I only lost a couple MPG in town - will never go back to the stock TC.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

I see where you're coming from. My driving is highway to work, stop and go back. Sometimes I miss the stocker. I have a tune and it doesn't want to stall out so navy blue was right about that part. If you build your car for top end, why not have a stall? Get a cam matched to your stall and you'll never look back. I have to admit when I look at cams I think to myself 3000-6500 range, I'm not going to be flooring it all the time! But with a 3600, anything under 2800-3000rpms is garbage now anyway. It's all about what you want with your car. Seems to me you had your fun with your stall and now you're done. Nothing wrong with that and you're right about getting a cam like the torquer2 with your stocker and the car would be pretty damn stout.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

With the TCI3500 I had to increase my idle to ~800 rpm with my Crane tuner to get rid of the surge.

If I had the stock cam & gears, I probably wouldn't have reinstalled the stock TC. I remember the acceleration "dead spot" when I ran stock and the high stall would have probably fixed that. So I understand how certain guys feel about never wanting to go back to the stock TC again. I just took a different approach to things and have found that its a pretty good setup. I just wanted to share my experience with those that find this interesting.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The other bad deal about the stock TC besides the dead spot factor is that the thing is so damn heavy. The inertia of the thing caused WOT 1-2 upshifts to be violent on my car, kicking the rear end out sideways at times. My TCI cured that.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Strange, I didn't lose any mileage. I can make it drop about 1mpg if I drive a little more aggressively, but its usually the same as before.

Even though this is a little loose sometimes (especially going up hills) I also would not go back to stock.